Could someone answer these questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_to_be

Beta member
1. What made you want to be a computer or network technician?
2. What type of education did you get? and from where?
3. Did you get a degree or just certificates? and from where?
4. How long have you been employed as a computer or network technician?
5. How long did it take before you were employed?
6. What type of problems do you work on?
7. What do you specialize in? and what would be more important now a-days?
8. Is it easier to work on hardware issues or OS issues?
9. Is it easier to work on networks or PCs?
10.What is the hardest part about being a technician?

I am working on a career in information systems technology and I need to conduct an interview with three people. My name is Lupe S. and I am a student at my local community college trying to transfer to FSU. Right now I am in the middle of a research paper and need the above questions answered by people who are in the field and who have hands on experience. Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Hello Lupe, I can help you with some of the questions.

1) The IT industry is growing at a rapid pace and there is a lot of money you can make in the networking field as a LAN/WAN technician. Simply because this field isn't close to being oversea as you would normally expect from a software engineer since the jobs require physical appearance to troubleshoot the equipments. That's why it's such an attractive position and that's why I got into networking.

2) I have a bachelor degree in Information Technology, Networking.

3) Degree and certificates, although certificates I get on my own like CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP, etc....if that's what you meant?

4)Little over 3 years.

5)I can honestly tell you, getting your foot in the door as an entry level is very hard. Many company want to hire people with years of experience and few will give entry level the opportunity to gain that experience. So here is my suggestion, while you are in school. FIND A PLACE THAT WILL GIVE YOU AN INTERNSHIP. Work for them for FREE! or if they are to pay you then that is a plus! Work experience is so important, it's probably the #1 thing employer look for in your resume. 2nd being your diploma and 3rd if you have any certification.

6) All network related problems from users complaining the network is to slow, have to monitor it, implement new equipments, servers, disaster recovery plan (backing up, creating a reliable network with multiple redundant links). Most of your day to day job as a network admin or system admin is backing up data. It's not often something goes wrong on the network, I mean these equipment are pretty reliable and a good design will limit a lot of problems in future (like growth or slow connection).

7) I specialize in LAN equipments, servers, I don't deal much with WAN technology though.

8) Not sure, but it all depends

9) PC

10) People

1. What made you want to be a computer or network technician?
I love working with computers- its natural for me. I was sick of retail.

2. What type of education did you get? and from where?
Well, I got a BA from UMaine in Journalism. But my eduaction in IT stuff came in the form of years building/reading/learning computers. I got an A+ certification, and that got my foot in the door.

3. Did you get a degree or just certificates? and from where?
Yes- I got an A+ cert from CompTia.

4. How long have you been employed as a computer or network technician?
3 glorious months...

5. How long did it take before you were employed?
2 months from when I got my Cert. But to be honest I had been looking before that.

6. What type of problems do you work on?
Helping users with printer issues, internet issues, and fixing incorrect settings on PC's. I also have to track down server failure issues, and data recovery when people lose/delete the wrong thing.

7. What do you specialize in? and what would be more important now a-days?
I specialize in hardware. Networking is more important in most IT.

8. Is it easier to work on hardware issues or OS issues?
Harware. Once you're narrowed it down to OS, you've got a plate of worms.

9. Is it easier to work on networks or PCs?
Well... individual PC's are easy.

10.What is the hardest part about being a technician?
Really? The interpersonal thing. People are impatient, rude, ignorant, and mean. They'll do something really dumb, lose an important document, and then complain that everything is all your fault when you work the problem. You learn not to get hurt by it- they're just upset users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom