computer software/hardware engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranga

Baseband Member
As im in year eleven im starting to make choices on my future. im at the point now were i wanna choose between software or hardware engineering. when and if i get too uni.

any comments opinions would be greatly appreciated??

The decision is all up to you. You could have someone make the decision for you, but unless you're happy with it then you've got nobody to blame for your misery than yourself :D Software engineering is basically writing codes and writing programs and such, hardware engineering is like designing processors and gpu's and the like. That's my understanding at least.

If it is like any other traditional college, you won't start even taking classes towards your degree field until at least the second half of your second year (4th semester). My suggestion would be to take a few classes in both at first (or take one or two classes in each that would count towards both degrees) in your second or third year in college - then make the decision yourself.

Since you are only in 11th grade I guarantee you are going to go through so many changes it is going to blow your mind away. In three to four years you may or may not want to be in that field of study. Or after you take a few classes of both you will be in a better position to make that decision. I know for me it was not until the middle of my third year in college before I decided I did not want to be a programmer, sure I lost a good semester of school (5 or 6 classes) since I already passed classes that weren't going to count towards my new degree of HR, but I was happy.

If it is like any other traditional college, you won't start even taking classes towards your degree field until at least the second half of your second year (4th semester).

That isn't always the case. I just finished my freshman year at a traditional college and I have already taken two classes towards my Computer Science degree.

It's nice to immediately start learning stuff that directly applies to your field but it also means you already need to have a general idea of what you want to go into.

Most of it depends on the school. My brother starts major specific stuff Junior year. I on the other hand will be taking courses towards my degree second semester like yourself.

That isn't always the case. I just finished my freshman year at a traditional college and I have already taken two classes towards my Computer Science degree.

It's nice to immediately start learning stuff that directly applies to your field but it also means you already need to have a general idea of what you want to go into.

I haven't started yet but i already know my schedule for this fall...first semester i will be taking "computer science I" so i'm already taking classes too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom