Computer Science Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugine

Beta member
Hello,
I found this site from searching on Google. The term was "Computer Science Forum" and so far I'm happy I bounced my way into this forum.

Well, I have some questions. I myself want to pursue a career in computers and did plenty research into finding the right course I'll like to pursue in the future.

My local University offers courses in Computer Science which can be found at this link St. George's University more specifically the link to my wanted course is found here.

Now I'll be 16 when I pursue this and I know it will be touch but anyway I'd like if you guys can give me a much more detailed overview of the Computer Science field if you can. I'll really appreciate it.

Now the questions:
1. How hard is pursuing a Bachelor Degree. I think this is what I'd be perusing from next year.
2. Well, to make sure you answer it I'll repeat it in a question form. Can I receive a more detailed course overview of the degree? If yes, what's the hardest part in achieving the degree and how's life at a Computer Science University?

I'll continue to ask more questions around this forum. I think this will be my home for everything computer related.

Eugine said:
Hello,
I found this site from searching on Google. The term was "Computer Science Forum" and so far I'm happy I bounced my way into this forum.

Well, I have some questions. I myself want to pursue a career in computers and did plenty research into finding the right course I'll like to pursue in the future.

My local University offers courses in Computer Science which can be found at this link St. George's University more specifically the link to my wanted course is found here.

Now I'll be 16 when I pursue this and I know it will be touch but anyway I'd like if you guys can give me a much more detailed overview of the Computer Science field if you can. I'll really appreciate it.

Now the questions:
1. How hard is pursuing a Bachelor Degree. I think this is what I'd be perusing from next year.
2. Well, to make sure you answer it I'll repeat it in a question form. Can I receive a more detailed course overview of the degree? If yes, what's the hardest part in achieving the degree and how's life at a Computer Science University?

I'll continue to ask more questions around this forum. I think this will be my home for everything computer related.

Pursuing a bachelors degree is not so hard. However in computer science it might be :). Depends if you're good in math. The "Good" Computer Science programs have tons of math courses you will need to complete. The program I completed had 3 levels of graduate proofs classes. That was the highest math I had to do.

Most kids your age think computer science is learning about computers. In a way it might be, but it's more about learning how computers work mathematically. It is more on the edge of programming and algorithmic design then anything. Personally I loved it, all around there is about a 60% drop out rate of first year freshmen going into computer science. I believe this statistic is because highschool doesnt prepare the students for the type of math good universities make you take for a computer science degree. Your school may be different, I dont know. Overall I think the hardest part for most kids is the math. However your school may be different to the ones described and you may only have to take up to calculus 3, and maybe 1 proofs class.

The college life really depends on the college. Hope that helped you :)

right on raross. our drop out rate was 80%. between 60% and 80% is the national average for drop out. mine has had alot of math to it. it makes it very difficult. you become a better "thinker" and a better computer scientist.

Yeah, I am working on an experiment now for a local university. It is actually a side project, we are redoing all the entry level computer science courses to try to get that rate down. 60% dropout rate is actually worldwide average for first year. But then second year is about 20% of the remaining 40% and 3rd year is about 10% of the remaining amount etc. Instead of starting with algorithmic design, we are trying to use a easier language where you can jump in and do objects or some other advanced topic the first day without having to learn all the sematics. MIT developed an easier language called scheme, which we are testing to use. I find it incredible most schools give you a 1000 page book, and you have to read 600 pages before you can start doing loops or other topics. We believe that is one of the problems that cause kids to drop out. We need more efficent teaching methods where you can get the theory across without blowing the students mind with all this useless information.

Can I get an example of the maths you get in Computer Science? Thanks.

EDIT: I really want to go this school since I live in Grenada. It will be much more cost effective to go this school also.

Like I said, it all matters. Most good uni/colleges have you do up to an advanced proofs class. I had to take 3 advanced proofs classes.

Most colleges make you take at minimal, up to calculus 3, advanced calculus, linear algebra, discrete 2 and a proofs class. To get into these classes you will have a lot of prereq's depending where you actually start. But these are the maths you will have to finish at.

i interned with a kid form MIT. he was telling me about how that scheme was all they did their first semester or two. i learned a little bit this year. i think its a great langauge to start out with. its fairly simple and starts to get your mind thinking in a programming way. another langauge that is even simplier which could be used in hs is logo. its functional much like scheme.

i am looking at those courses. it doesn't seem to have much math in them at all. the course they have at great but your wouldn't be getting the entire "computer science education" correct me raross if i explain this incorrectly, but computer science focuses on the theoretial aspects (mathematical) blending with the software and applications (what most people think computer science is). if you have a good theory background you will be able to really be a great computer scientist.

for instance some theory / math class i took were:

calculus
discrete math for computer science
mathematical experiments in computer science
algorithms and complexity
theory of computation
computer logic and organization

fuller9779 said:
i interned with a kid form MIT. he was telling me about how that scheme was all they did their first semester or two. i learned a little bit this year. i think its a great langauge to start out with. its fairly simple and starts to get your mind thinking in a programming way. another langauge that is even simplier which could be used in hs is logo. its functional much like scheme.

i am looking at those courses. it doesn't seem to have much math in them at all. the course they have at great but your wouldn't be getting the entire "computer science education" correct me raross if i explain this incorrectly, but computer science focuses on the theoretial aspects (mathematical) blending with the software and applications (what most people think computer science is). if you have a good theory background you will be able to really be a great computer scientist.

for instance some theory / math class i took were:

calculus
discrete math for computer science
mathematical experiments in computer science
algorithms and complexity
theory of computation
computer logic and organization

Yeah exactly. Scheme is used at most top schools for that reason. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom