Computer Jobs, Degrees, Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, whomever is tell you that is getting it confused with computer SCIENCE. Computer Science requires a lot of math, and will more than likely require a degree.

With almost any field it is best to get a degree, especially if you have the ability to. I'm a huge advocate for education, and whenever possible if you have the finances and ability you should go to college and get a degree, at least go get your associates.

A degree is not required for most entry level positions within the IT field (not talking about computer science here), but will definately help you out. It depends on the company too, a lot of larger companies will require a computer degree or related 4 year degree, but some smaller companies won't look for a degree but work history and experience.
what a relief LOL! well i do have the ability to go to school, here are a few schools i looked...the notorious ITT tech,Remmington college,ITI technical college and a community college
Most IT jobs will have you in front of a computer most of the day.
If you want to stay away from that then you will likely get stuck as the lowly PC technician.

That gets OLD FAST. I promise.

I spent a week ripping apart Dells to update the RAM and HDD's where possible and troubleshoot hardware level problems to try and refurb them. I got some very thick callouses from that as well as several dozen nicks and cuts, and the best part is I got some nail fungus in my right thumb due to all the nicks and cuts and dust exposure (you wouldn't believe what ends up in machines. I've seen everything from poppy seeds to baked roaches, insects I mean)

However, if you are moving those machines through a warehouse, as I was, to a testing station you will get plenty of exercise every day.

The other possibility is a PC installer. Once again, that gets really old, really fast. Cutting open new boxes, pulling them off pallets. Getting every ready to bring to the end user. Swapping machines, bringing back the old ones... very repetitive, but great exercise. Very underwhelming.
oh i didnt know it was like that but im going to look more into cisco certs

oh i didnt know it was like that but im going to look more into cisco certs

Cisco is a great company if that sort of thing is your cup of tea. You have to get into CLI stuff and network programming and all kinds of fun specific things. It is rather specialized (and quite a headache to wrap your head around). But if you can get your CCNA (or whatever they replaced it with) then you've got a job, either with Cisco or any one of 10,000 companies in your area that uses Cisco equipment. Okay, you might not have that many companies in your area that are big enough to warrant having a specific Cisco tech on hand, but you get my point.

However, usually, people get their CCNA and stuff after they already have a degree in computer science or at least some experience with computer networking.

...ugh... weekly scheduled tasks just popped up...

what is the difference between Computer Science Vs. Information Technology? because where i live the only places that have information technology is tech schools and LSU but i dont think i can afford to go there and the three universities have Computer Science

Information Technology is what people usually see and think about when they think about computer jobs. IT is a broad term but usually encompases programming, networking, computer hardware and the like. Computer Science is geared more towards science and engineering. Things like creating circuit boards, processors. Real math intensive things.

Computer Science is a much more specialized degree and as you said won't be found at a community college or ITT Tech.

Mike Meyers all the way. Self proclaimed nerd, he has a great way of explaining some of the more difficult topics covered inthe A+ and from what i've found he has the most video tutorials out there (which is helpful when talking about hardware and pointing out things, as well as giving you the ability to save the audio and listen to it on the road or whenever :)).

Just make sure to get the 600 level book of his. (late fall they will be coming out with a 900 level exam, possibly early 2010).

Would it be a good idea If I were to get both his A+ Certification Passport (3rd ed) and the CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide (6th ed), Or do I just need one of those books? What is another book you recommend to accompany his? I am in Panama so I have to get these books ordered through a local book store so I just want to make sure.

Also, do I have the choice of taking the exam online or is just through a school? There is a New Horizons here that could probably administer me a test. Is it better for your certification to be given through a school than online? Thank you in advance for your help

You can't take the exam online, you have to physically be in a building in a certified testing center. Go to CompTIA's website and their they will explain how the exam process works. What happens is you have to go through Prometric or another company (can't remember the name) and they are the ones that actually administer the exams. To muddy the water a bit more Prometric actually just 'certifies' businesses and schools as 'Prometric Exam Centers.' What that means is they administer the exams for Prometric, which in turn is licensed to adminster the exam for CompTIA.

Go to Prometric's website and they will show you where the closest testig center is. Then you have to sign up for the exam, pay the fee(s), and go to that exam center. The exam will be on a computer, in an isolated testing room, which will be monitored by camera to ensure you aren't cheating. You cannot take the exam online.

Edit: VUE is the other company that administers the exam. And you can check your local testing sites on the CompTIA site - but you will still need to register for the exam through VUE or Prometric.

I went to Prometric's website and found out that the New Horizons here in Panama can administer me an exam. $168 for each A+ Exam (essentials, IT, remote support tech, depot tech). What do you think on those books I mentioned?

Mike Meyers is a definate, then suppliment that with something. I believe that one you mentioned would be fine. As long as it is for the current exam (600 level) you should be set to go with both of those books.

Ok great I will order those then. Do you have any suggestions for accompanied reading?
Thanks a lot for your help, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom