Computer Engineering School

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronkupen

Fully Optimized
I think i made a decision, I am going to major in computer engineering.
University of Pittsburgh is really close to me, does anyone know if their CE program is any good?

Find out if they are accreddited. That will tell you if they have a decent program or not.

aaronkupen said:
I think i made a decision, I am going to major in computer engineering.
University of Pittsburgh is really close to me, does anyone know if their CE program is any good?

if you want to get into a good engineering program, consider the following schools (they may be expensive $$$ :( - they are in no particular order)

1. MIT
  2. Stanford
  3. U of Illinois - Urbana C (they're really good with EE)
  4. Berkley
  5. U of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
  6. George Institute of Tech
  7. Purdue
  8. Carnegie Mellon U
  9. UCLA
  10. CIT
  11. Northwestern U
  12. USC
    [/list=1]
    ** 2nd EDIT:

I went on ABET's site - U of Pittsburgh is accredited for CE.

University of Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh, PA

Date of Next General Review: 2005 - 06
    Computer Engineering BS [2000]

Check for yourself:

1) http://www.abet.org/
    2) Find an accredit program
    3) Engineering program
    4) Search by Discipline (CE)
    5) Click on P for Pittsburgh

There! :) You can check your other options too, such as Biomedical, EE, Inudstrial/Systems, etc :) :)

Hope this helps

Re: Re: Computer Engineering School

M4A1 said:
if you want to get into a good engineering program, consider the following schools (they may be expensive $$$ :( - they are in no particular order)

1. MIT
  2. Stanford
  3. U of Illinois - Urbana C (they're really good with EE)
  4. Berkley
  5. U of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
  6. George Institute of Tech
  7. Purdue
  8. Carnegie Mellon U
  9. UCLA
  10. CIT
  11. Northwestern U
  12. USC
    [/list=1]
    ** 2nd EDIT:

I went on ABET's site - U of Pittsburgh is accredited for CE.

Check for yourself:

1) http://www.abet.org/
    2) Find an accredit program
    3) Engineering program
    4) Search by Discipline (CE)
    5) Click on P for Pittsburgh

There! :) You can check your other options too, such as Biomedical, EE, Inudstrial/Systems, etc :) :)

Hope this helps

1. If you are pursuing a BS, then forget about going to those ivy league schools. They mainly focus on research and graduate level study. Also if you do not have the financial backing to go to those schools, THEN DON'T. For a lot of people student loans are financial suicide, especially if you miss payments after you graduate. You will get bad credit and employers dislike hiring people with bad credit. Just make sure the school is not a for-profit institution and it is ABET accredited. If you do that, you should be on the right track.

Re: Re: Re: Computer Engineering School

elitesoldier said:
If you are pursuing a BS, then forget about going to those ivy league schools. They mainly focus on research and graduate level study. Also if you do not have the financial backing to go to those schools, THEN DON'T. For a lot of people student loans are financial suicide, especially if you miss payments after you graduate. You will get bad credit and employers dislike hiring people with bad credit. Just make sure the school is not a for-profit institution and it is ABET accredited. If you do that, you should be on the right track.

He did not name one ivy league. Most of the schools he named are tier two schools. The only world class schools he put out there are MIT, Stanford, Berkley, Georgia Tech and Carnegie. At the under grad level they do not focus on research. At the graduate level they do. Going to a good school can not hurt you and obviously is very good. Even if you take out 120k in loans, when you graduate from a top school, you will obviously end up with a very good job and be able to pay back those loans in no time. The real problem is getting into one of these schools, but if you do, I would go for it. They sure as **** beat out the experience at any state school you would attend.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Computer Engineering School

elitesoldier said:
If you are pursuing a BS, then forget about going to those ivy league schools. They mainly focus on research and graduate level study. Also if you do not have the financial backing to go to those schools, THEN DON'T. For a lot of people student loans are financial suicide, especially if you miss payments after you graduate. You will get bad credit and employers dislike hiring people with bad credit. Just make sure the school is not a for-profit institution and it is ABET accredited. If you do that, you should be on the right track.

Notice I said engineering program, in general. NOT undergraduate engineering program. The schools I listed above are very good in what they do, so he could consider them for whatever he likes -- undergraduate/graduate/doctoral.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Computer Engineering School

M4A1 said:
Notice I said engineering program, in general. NOT undergraduate engineering program. The schools I listed above are very good in what they do, so he could consider them for whatever he likes -- undergraduate/graduate/doctoral.

Most of the schools you listed are decent schools but there are A LOT more worth considering over those.

YAh i plan on getting a bachelors degree, definately nothing less than that. I doubt I would be able to get into those very high up schools though. I have decent grades and a decent SAT score, but nothing that special to get me into a school that excellent.

If you have activities that might help - sports/clubs/NHS/volunteer/etc...

Remember, schools look for well-rounded individuals, not only ones that have 4.0 GPAs in H.S.

Eh I was a volunteer fireman for a couple years, and did some volunteer work for my community for a little bit. I am also in tech crew. That's about it. For my senior year *this year*, I plan on doing some more things with clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom