Comp Eng vs. Comp Sci

Status
Not open for further replies.

lulu_classic

Beta member
Hi all. I want some advice about the differences between comp engineering and comp science. Actually I want to study about both of them, software and hardware. But, Iam afraid that comp engineering doesnt give strong foundation in software eventhough they offer software engineering or computer science course in the upper level.

Iam quite confused about which one of them has the bigger opportunity to get a job.

Thank you

Your job opportunities are essentially the same with either degree. Search this forum for more information. Over the past several months, there have been many threads regarding your question.

theres a little blurb on waterloo's site on the differences between computer engineering, computer science and software engineering... just cant seem to find it atm. look around at: www.uwaterloo.ca
i'll look harder soon or just type it up from one of the pamphlets.

sometimes i found software engineering is a branch (something like major) of comp engineering, like in U of T. The other branch of it is comp hardware and network. IMO, software engineering and Comp Sci are just the same (programming, and developing software), arent they?

Don't waste your time with Software Engineering. I went to University of Waterloo and did Computer Engineering. In that University, Computer Science is run by the Math department.

In a 5-10 word summary:

Computer Engineering = Software + Hardware
Computer Science = Software (more theoretical) + Math

I am not going to put math beside Engineering b/c it's simply a joke. Engineering Math is nonsence. If you want to do Software and you know it, they just go to Computer Science. You'll get a better background/theory at the expense of your knowledge of Hardware. From hindsight, I would probably go to CS instead of CE..

When you are done school, and you are doing a job, do you think you'll be doing both s/w and h/w? You might be - I know ppl in my company who are.. That's a decision you have to make.

Chankama said:
Don't waste your time with Software Engineering. I went to University of Waterloo and did Computer Engineering. In that University, Computer Science is run by the Math department.

In a 5-10 word summary:

I am not going to put math beside Engineering b/c it's simply a joke. Engineering Math is nonsence. If you want to do Software and you know it, they just go to Computer Science. You'll get a better background/theory at the expense of your knowledge of Hardware. From hindsight, I would probably go to CS instead of CE..

When you are done school, and you are doing a job, do you think you'll be doing both s/w and h/w? You might be - I know ppl in my company who are.. That's a decision you have to make.

To answer the posters question: Software engineering is the #1 job in the US based on growth, salary and many others. While computer engineering is also good in these, it is not as good as software engineering..

Computer science is the same as software engineering at any ABET accreddited school. The reason for the two names is because some schools put computer science in with the engineering department and thus it gets the name software engineering, while others do not and it takes the name computer science. Do not let these "words" confuse you.

Thank u guys for the comment

Now I'm targetting to go to U of T for CE... It looks better for me because I've never studied programming before. And also I love doing physics. :) So, I prefer CE :D

But, I will gladly accept any advice. Just post here

Chankama said:

In a 5-10 word summary:

Is engineering math really that easy? I know someone who is currently in 2nd yr U of T CE and he says that the calculus they're doing is not only different than other engineering disciplines - but its way harder! He studies his butt off and he only got around a ~45 - 50% I was under the impression that electrical/computer engineering math is very difficult.

So please elaborate on this Chankama, as am I aiming to go into U of T or Waterloo CE next year!

kirab said:
Is engineering math really that easy? I know someone who is currently in 2nd yr U of T CE and he says that the calculus they're doing is not only different than other engineering disciplines - but its way harder! He studies his butt off and he only got around a ~45 - 50% I was under the impression that electrical/computer engineering math is very difficult.

So please elaborate on this Chankama, as am I aiming to go into U of T or Waterloo CE next year!

I would consider this math very easy, since all you're really doing is plugging and chugging the formulas. The math which is deemed very tough is the math where you use creativity in proofs etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom