Cloud Technology study

amayamartin82

Banned
I am highly interested and influenced with the ultimate technology of Cloud Technology. I would really wish that any degree program includes this as a major subject. I haven't come across any information.

If anybody know anything about this and share your views, It would be great!

I don't know of any degree programs that specifically cater to cloud computing but since cloud computing is directly related to distributed computing, any classes or degree programs that dealt with distributed computing would be applicable to cloud computing.

Do computer science - cloud computing IMO is entirely too vague and for that reason you aren't going to see a lot of degree programs completely based on cloud computing. You will see certain fields that have a few classes on it - but overall you aren't going to see a ton of material on it.

Why? Because 'cloud' is just a buzz word for off-site storage. Off-site storage has been around for a long time. They've just done a great job marketing it with the cloud term. With storage costs decreasing and the ability to get large bandwidth more companies are going to off-site storage solutions.

Just be aware that CS is pretty much all programming-based, besides the other classes you would be taking that are based around mostly theory / some practice (such as computer architecture, distributed computing, parallel programming, etc.). I just graduated in December with my B.S. in CS.

... Why? Because 'cloud' is just a buzz word for off-site storage. Off-site storage has been around for a long time. They've just done a great job marketing it with the cloud term. With storage costs decreasing and the ability to get large bandwidth more companies are going to off-site storage solutions.
This is an extremely narrow description of cloud computing which entails substantially more than off-site storage. As I said in my earlier post, cloud computing is actually distributed computing. I personally am involved in developing a cloud-based, Enterprise level application where not only the data, but the server is "in the cloud". All that's needed to access this application is a browser. A company using this application does not need to setup or maintain any hardware, DB server or install any client software as would be necessary with a traditional Enterprise application.

Take a look at something like Google Drive where you can create, edit and store documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc... using nothing more than a browser. Traditionally, each user would need to install software such as MS Office on each computer they use in order to do that. They'd need to carry their spreadsheets around with them on a thumb drive or something like that to be able to work on them on their PC at the office, then carry them to be able to work with them while mobile using their laptop. With Google Docs, they can access their work from any machine with a browser and don't have to install an office suite such as MS Office. They can edit their work from a PC, Mac, Linux, tablet, etc... virtually any device with a browser.

The drawback to cloud computing is that you can't access anything without an internet connection. Fortunately, many people have internet access pretty much wherever they go and this is becoming less and less of an issue.

One great advantage to cloud or distributed computing is that the users get instant benefit from updates to the software from new versions or bug fixes or whatever without the need download/install any updates.

The days of the computer user installing software on their local computerare coming to an end. Chromebooks are just the beginning.

Last edited:
^ Sounds like what The Pirate Bay is going to do... :tongue:
The Pirate Cloud

So, first we ditched the trackers.

Then we got rid of the torrents.

Now? Now we've gotten rid of the servers. Slowly and steadily we are getting rid of our earthly form and ascending into the next stage, the cloud.

The cloud, or Brahman as the hindus call it, is the All, surrounding everything. It is everywhere; immaterial, yet very real.

If there is data, there is The Pirate Bay.

Our data flows around in thousands of clouds, in deeply encrypted forms, ready to be used when necessary. Earth bound nodes that transform the data are as deeply encrypted and reboot into a deadlock if not used for 8 hours.

All attempts to attack The Pirate Bay from now on is an attack on everything and nothing. The site that you're at will still be here, for as long as we want it to. Only in a higher form of being. A reality to us. A ghost to those who wish to harm us.

Adapt or be forever forgotten beneath the veils of maya.

Computer Science and Computer Engineering are two viable options to get what you need to prepare for working in the cloud space.

I majored in Computer Engineering which focuses on both hardware and software principles, and naturally, you have to discuss the evolution of hardware and software. This will include lots of education around the cloud because we've fundamentally changed the paradigm of hosting our servers (both database and web) locally and pushed them to the cloud to be managed in a more distributed manner. This impacts everything -- deployment, load-balancing, security, maintenance/operations, client/server communication, database replication, scalability/performance, globalization, etc.

Speak to guidance counselors at prospective schools to get and idea of the programs and courses they have specifically around cloud computing.

One thing to keep in mind is that you might not find any degree programs that cater specifically to mastering cloud computing as it is still maturing. So, all of the different flavors of cloud computing SaaS, Paas, and IaaS aren't things that you typically find out about specifically until you have to solve a problem that involves selecting a platform that meets your needs. It is best to just be grounded in the fundamentals of software/hardware architectures...such as the communication between clients, web servers, and database servers.

Back
Top Bottom