Changing Careers

stryker2000

Beta member
I have seen multiple threads about individuals wanting to find new jobs in IT but I wanted to ask for myself.

I separated recently from the military as an aircraft mechanic but can no longer do too well in that position. I have an unrelated bachelors degree and want to go back to school for either computer science or IT but really haven't made up my mind as to which. I'd rather something more hands on since there are many occasions where I enjoyed ripping a computer apart and putting it back together. I see quite a bit about certifications, etc. Are these the best route to go to get a foot in the door? I see some websites swear by them but others say they are useless.

I too have a BS in an unrelated field. I think in your position i would suggest certifications.

Certifications aren't useless, the problem is people don't learn the technology - they just worry about passing the exam.

I would start off with CompTIA A+ and Net+ to get your feet wet, then go from there.

That sounds like a plan! I think I would enjoy getting into security as well. Would the A+ still be a starting point? I see on the Comptia website a strat cert too. Is this just a basic, bare-bones cert?

I also have a BS that isn't related to the field I work in (software engineer but my degree is in Management) and don't feel that has hurt me. Certifications will help you get your foot in the door then after that, your experience will carry more weight than anything else.

CompTIA is the starting point. Once you get a few certifications and get your feet wet then get into more difficult / specific certification paths.

That sounds like a plan! I think I would enjoy getting into security as well. Would the A+ still be a starting point? I see on the Comptia website a strat cert too. Is this just a basic, bare-bones cert?

Strata is the cert below A+ and, IMO, useless for anyone trying to get into IT. It's more for students and people just starting to get into computers to measure how much they've learned; if you've ever put a PC together from scratch then it's most likely way beneath you.

I'm talking about "describe the function of a CPU" level kind of stuff.

This is just my opinion, but if you're into hardware, school isn't entirely necessary. If you intend to rise through the ranks, you can get along pretty well with a few certifications (as recommended above, A+ and Net+ are great starters), there is also a Security+ certification you can get.
My recommendation is to take a few classes at a community college or something, decide what you're interested in, and then look around for a few junior level IT jobs based on your knowledge. For example, you could start at an IT Helpdesk, or if you're already above that, a Junior SysAdmin position may be in order. Either of these positions can help you decide what you're interested in. If it is hardware, I would not recommend being a software engineer, however some knowledge of C+ and Java would be very beneficial.

Last edited:
For either route taken; if I decided to do college work, do employers normally favor computer science or IT?

Can't say, depends on the employer, market, time, region, industry, etc.

Do what you enjoy and you can't go wrong.

Can't say, depends on the employer, market, time, region, industry, etc.

Do what you enjoy and you can't go wrong.

This. CS may open doors to jobs other than IT, mainly programming though - that's pretty much what most of CS is, is programming and theory behind computing and such.

But then again, it also boils down to experience and such.

Back
Top Bottom