Certs VS Degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ET/IT is definitely right, I did a lot of research about the online schools and in fact I have friends working in the field who agree that online schools are to easy and not well credited…just try to apply for UCR or CAL Poly Pomona ( CA ) or some other well credited school and you will see how harder it is to get in. In DeVry I got enrolled just with application lol. Will suggest community college and then university, this is the cheapest option. This is what I did, now I am in at the moment RCC and going to transfer to CSUSB in CA. I personally think to get Network+ ( got A+ ), MCSE and letter MCITP certificates just on the side to boost my understanding of the computer server and network technologies.

Are you going for a BS in Computer Programming, CIS Management, or computer/network engineering? (or Network Administration, same thing as network engineer only different in title only)

Probably for System administration and security, but there is a chance for Web developer. The core computer courses such as database, administration, servers, C++ and Java are mandatory for both specialities any way. I guess I will decide when I take the C++ objects and data structures and Java objects, then will probably have an idea what is for me .

If you get into the security side then C, and java are almost a must

For Network Security?

o_O

Unless you're going into "Ethical Hacking" I don't really see how those would be useful specific to it. Java is more of a multimedia language isn't it?

I'm kinda curious now. I know some Network Security guys who play "probe" for their networks (try and find faults, etc.) but they learned that stuff in their CCSP certs and Security+ Certs.

May just be based on the specific job?

Actually Java and C can be used for server programming, tools development, and are the base of programming maybe this is why there are mandatory.

NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR-F & CH IT-SFTE-1.00-1ST SHIFT-WOODLAND PRIME-MENOMONEE FALLS WI Job in MENOMONEE FALLS 53051, Wisconsin US

Bachelor Degree

That is a REQUIREMENT. Without it, you will not get the job. No matter how much you learned yourself.

You may want to read that add again. It clearly states " A Bachelor's degree in computer science, or related technology field preferred or acquired through a combination of education and experience." This means it is not a REQUIREMENT as you stated. It also goes on to state that a combo of education (less then a Bachelor's) and work experience can make up for not having a Bachelor's.

Yea, Java is very flexible, same with C++ and so on, if a network admin, or security tech knows those languages, they can easily write and compile networking software that would benefit a company more than them outsourcing there needs with other companies or multiple applications.

Either way, it is still best to go to school to get a degree, and to get your certs and keep them updated, as some companies will see that both, mean you actually know your stuff. Some certs expire every few years, and maintaining your cert shows that you are current with todays technology.

In my experience network security and ethical hacking can overlap. But yes learning those 2 can be used for server programming, scripts, etc. I think when it comes to network security one can never have enough tools--makes you invaluable to the organization (for the most part)

After the research I made about the job market it seems that you are right about the replacing the education with experience…lol I don't have experience, I am changing field of work drastically so I need the education to hit the market ready and actually I will be substituting experience with education. And the second idea is that with Bs you are able to apply for higher pay (Computer Network, Systems, and Database Administrators and Computer Software Engineers and Computer Programmers ) as a starting position, isn't it? And I seems that the degree gives the prospective employee a certain edge confidence because they , more often than not, carry with them a wider variety of knowledge than what the field can give. College offers math, English, history , writing, and wide range of computer classes and a wider variety of skills and knowledge that prove valuable in any job - often times more valuable than the mere field experience can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom