Certs VS Degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyjo81

Baseband Member
Would it really make much of a difference if i went and got my bachelors in computer science or some IT degree, rather than just getting certified ? still not sure which area of IT i want to get into but im thinking networking or internet security..
So would it even be worth it to go to school and get a bachelors degree? or would i be about just as good with certifications?

Would it really make much of a difference if i went and got my bachelors in computer science or some IT degree, rather than just getting certified ? still not sure which area of IT i want to get into but im thinking networking or internet security..
So would it even be worth it to go to school and get a bachelors degree? or would i be about just as good with certifications?

You always want a degree. Most employers require a degree but you can work for yourself with a cert.

IMHO when looking into school I refused anything less than bachelors and its a no lose situation. It might cost more but you're guaranteed to make more right out the gate.

DO you guys know of any good online programs to get a Bachelors?? What should i get it in? computer science? I dont even really care what I do anymore.. I just want a job that is in demand and pays well.

I hear Devry's online programs are phenomenal. But if you don't know if you want to do it than don't. It's an investment that if you cant stand it in the end there was no point of doing it.

Honestly, its best to get both. I am going to school for an Associates degree in Networking. I have talked to some companies around the area and they said they DO NOT want people with anything higher than an Associates because they like to train you themselves. My networking teacher said the best route is to get your Associates, along with a handful of Certifications, and you will be in really good shape.

Plus, some companies will even pay for your Bachelors degree if they feel the need.

Degree are more your general knowledge on. Eg. Sever Client Networking
Certs are more your skills on a particulare technology. Eg. Microsoft Small Business Server 2008.

When I was self employed I always considered certs more valuable but since i have reentered the workforce there is no doubt a degree is very important.

As far as online schools check out University of Phoenix

PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AN ONLINE DEGREE!!!

Go to a Community College, and take THEIR online courses.

If your state is anything like mine, a Bachelors wont make any difference unless your going for an IT/ET Engineer/Management job. Otherwise, go for an Associates in Technical Arts.

Computer Information Systems and/or Electronics Technology. (or both if you want to be even more rounded)

An ATA is 90-95% pure core curriculum. (you don't waste time on Too Kill a Mockingbird, or any of that other stuff that has nothing to do with your major) and in WA anyway, employers will take an ATA for a BS just because of that fact.

Again, that's unless you're planning to be a Programming, Electrical, Electronic, Computer, Network, etc. Engineer, or IT/ET Management job.

ATA curriculums, also coincide with both Vendor Specific, and Non-Vendor Specific Certifications. So when you sell yourself, you have both a degree specifically designed soly on your field, and the Certificates to back it up.

If you don't have Certifications, it doesn't matter if you get a Doctorate in Computer Science, you'll have nothing to show for all those years of schooling. Get Certifications. AND a degree.

But you need to plan if you want to be a Technician, an Engineer, or go into Management. If Engineer/Management is the gig you're going for, go for the Bachelors. If not, get the Associate in Technical Arts.

Also, STAY AWAY FROM ONLINE COLLEGES!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get your Associates in Technical Arts, just gotta backtrack into some general ed courses, and you can go through a State University for online classes.

So even though your Bachelors, (even your Associate in Technical Arts) says "University of Washington" for example, the entire degree could have been done online, and no one will ever have a clue outside of the institution.

State universities look a LOT better than University of Pheonix, Devry University, etc. etc.

State community colleges look better as well, AND you pay better tuition rates. (you pay NORMAL tuition rates as if you were physically going to that school, instead of $250 per credit, you pay $43-81 a credit depending how many credits you're doing per quarter)

Degree are more your general knowledge on. Eg. Sever Client Networking
Certs are more your skills on a particulare technology. Eg. Microsoft Small Business Server 2008.

I missed this post. lol

Harper is 100% absolutely correct on this.

So OP, get your Certs, it doesn't matter if you spend 6 months, or 15 years in College. If you have no certifications, you have NOTHING to show for ANY schooling you did.

Certifications are what will seperate your from some kid in HS. A degree is nice, but unless it's an ATA, it's all general knowledge. Certifications mean you truly know the information.

The way it was explained to me:

Your degree is your solid ground. You pass in all classes in a category.
Your certification is your step up the stairs. It shows that you go above what you learned.

To get a good job, you need both plus experience. A certification looks better than just someone who has an Associates Degree (2-year)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom