Certs Vs. Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

SThompson86

In Runtime
Hello all, this is something I have been wondering for a while. Is having a number of certs just as good as having BA in Computer Science or CIS In respects to getting a good job.

I am currently going for a 2 year Computer technology degree, and I am getting my A+ also. I am wondering if I should continue to a 4 year school and get BA in CIS or just try and learn and get as many certifications as possible.

From what I have heard already, most of the jobs I want require a bachelor degree.

Well I would like to hear you alls take on this. Thanks in advance

Both.

To be the best looking candidate you will want to have a BA or BS in CIS and certifications pertaining to the specific job you are applying for.

Its hard and long and tedious but the best idea is to start with the comptia ones like A+ and network+ then to cisco and microsoft certs and then finally the more niche ones like CISSP.

Degree before certs any day. As Ste said, the best combination is to have a 4 year degree and a few certifications.

You are more likely to get a job offer with just a degree compared to if you just had certifications.

The best approach is to get a degree, while getting that degree do a few easy certs that CompTIA offers (A+, Net+, Security+, Server+, etc) then work on harder ones like microsoft and Cisco when you graduate.

Yea, the 4 degree just pulls alot of wieght when it comes to getting hired on at big corporations. I am sure it does everywhere also.

Thanks for the advice guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom