Certs., are they worth the cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a **** job - sorry to hear that.

You need to get certifications, i'm just saying that I personally wouldn't pay that much for a group of certifications when you can do them on your own at a quarter of the price. Realize that one of those certifications, the MCITP is a group of 5 certifications. I think that is a waste of money without any experience. That certification group is for a Server Administrator position, which you are not going to get until you get 3 to 5 years experience in the industry. While knowing DNS, DCHP, IPSec, etc is good to know, i personally don't see you using that knowledge for a few years. The only certifications worth getting early on would be a windows 7 and the comptia ones.

Here - save some money. Here are some free video's through professor messer. I wouldn't suggest JUST using this material, but you could use his material and supplement it with either hands on or another book.

http://www.professormesser.com/microsoft-70-680/free-microsoft-70-680-training/

That is helpful, thx!

I was starting to figure that the MCITP would be a waste of time at this point relevant to my current experience. In terms of getting a position that dealt with or would require the knowledge that Cert. implies you have. I do intend to certify with the CompTIA at least in the next few months. Sorry, I made it seem like I threw certifying out the window in the last post. I meant that attending the boot camps to acquire these certs. was not cost effective vs. what i would get for the amount of money spent is what I learned here. I've purchased a few books on CompTIA from Mike Meyers and I'm halfway through the A+ book. Most of the material in there I'm already familiar with, but I have to say, the little history he goes into the computer industry is great. I've always liked computers, I build my own every couple years even though I'll have to skip my system build this year and perhaps the next one since I won't be able to invest no where as much as I'd like to build a good rig. I wanted to try a liquid cooling one this time. Anyhow, I think Mike Meyers book is great, I appreciate how computers evolved and the industry adapted since it's inception even more now. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone in a similar spot as me, experienced or no experience, great book. Granted, my review is on the one book I've only read on this subject, haha. But still a great book to learn from.

yup that is a good read. have one of his books myself. check professor messers website. with meyers book in hand and messers online content you shld have no trouble pasing both a+ exams

I have Meyers' A+ book as well and it is very good. I haven't gone for the certification yet, but the book prepares you very well. With all those test questions and that CD for more practice, it is a good tool. But like Lexluethar said, check professor messers website, I have heard tons of good things regarding that website and its usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom