Certifications vs. Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

heywire

Beta member
Which would you think best to obtain first? I am currently a Network Admin / Web Designer for a small (~50 employee) company. I pretty much got the position because I had worked for the company as a laborer and got in good with the owners of the company. Now with 2 years experience here, another year as a technician at a computer store, and more mid-level to advanced skills (10+ years of personal experience, I am 22), I am at a loss on what to do. I could go spend 2 years at the local community college and get an assoc. degree that may or may not help me into another position, or I can work on getting MCSE certified, and hope I can get an employer to overlook the lack of degree.

What advice does anyone have on my situation?

IMO...

A degree (especially a 4 year degree) says that you can 'focus' on a task and be successful at it. It tells employers that you are dedicated to a cause.

Experience is big (with me), like self-taught, etc. Nobody can over look experience.

Certified is like a little of both of the above, but not quite long enough OR in the real world.

All three ideas have their place in the business world... SO I think you need to figure out where you want to end up in 5 - 10 years.

Do you want to be working for yourself (get experience) or do you want to be a manager/vp at a big company (get 4 degree) OR just have a job at any company (get cerfification).

again, just my thoughts

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom