Certifications, degrees, jobs. I'm lost

Dysko

Beta member
Ok, I want a job that deals with Networking. Whether it be an architect, engineer, or whatever. I just want something with networking (No programming, like, writing programs, if possible). But I do not want to go to college because of money, plus, I don't even know what I would have to go for.

So, I was looking at a CCNA certification, along with a CCDA. Both appear to be things I would like to do. What jobs can I get with either of those certifications and no experience and no college degree? And my problem is, how do you even get experience if all the jobs require experience? It's very confusing to me...

PS: I'm currently going to a technical school and getting my A+ certification. And I might go next year so I can get my Network+ certification.

What don't you like about programming? I ask because networking will require heavy CLI use and poring through pages of configs isn't all that different from looking through pages of code, although a network OS is more intuitive than a programming language.

The thing about Cisco certs without experience is that they probably won't help you get a job that you wouldn't be able to get with just the A+ and Net+ certs. You're not going to get an engineering or architect position right off the bat. Your best bet is the traditional path into IT - helpdesk/desktop support/NOC/repair tech, and you don't need Cisco certs for any of those.

Is it possible that you'll find an employer looking for an inexperienced CCNA? Sure, but I wouldn't count on it. Am I saying to forget about getting a CCNA/CCDA right now? Of course, not - there's a lot of knowledge to be gained in studying for the certs, just don't expect too much from them at this stage. It used to be that having just a CCNA could get you a job, but those days are long gone now that so many people are getting the cert right out of school. As for the problem of experience, there's always internships, volunteer work, workstudy, joining the military, and personal connections.

When I say programming, I mean like actually coding. Particularly, high complex languages like C++, java, those types of languages. I can handle CLI and going through pages of stuff fairly easy.

And yeah, I wasn't expecting a job right of the bat but it just didn't make sense to me when employers say "We want x amount of years experience." Because well...I feel like CCNA requires actually CCNA related experience. Not removing viruses or simple things with computers that can be solved by going on youtube. But thanks for the reply.

When I say programming, I mean like actually coding. Particularly, high complex languages like C++, java, those types of languages. I can handle CLI and going through pages of stuff fairly easy.

Bah, they're not that bad :p. (coming from a C++/C# software developer, though lol).

Back
Top Bottom