Certifications for Data Center Technician?

ComputerNovice

Baseband Member
I currently work as a Computer Operator, in a Data Center (Windows environment). In the past, it wasn't very technical, because I was mostly monitoring batch jobs and escalating tickets or help desk calls.

This past year, we have started phasing out the Computer Operator job title. Instead, we are evolving into Data Center Technicians; and we've been learning how to rack/unrack servers, load server operating systems via PXE boot, configure servers, decommission leased servers, etc.

My question, what would be a good certification for a Data Center Technician role? I want to learn more, so that I can improve my job performance. But I would also like to make myself more marketable, once I'm at a certain comfort level.

I've read that the MCSE was replaced by a wider choice of other Windows certifications, more suited for certain platforms. So I'm not sure where to even start. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like you are more hardware oriented - if this is the case i would shoot for your A+ and Server+. These are generic certifications not based on specific manufacturer's like Microsoft or Cisco.

If you work within Server itself and configure the OS I would suggest pursuing your MCSA - then upgrade that to MCSE.

MCSA consists of three exams: MCSA: Windows Server 2012 Certification

Back
Top Bottom