Certification vs. Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbillybob

In Runtime
I am wanting to clearify something for my self and anyone else. From friends and colleagues I have heard conflicting reports on what benefits you the most. Is getting uber certified the best way to go??? Should a guy spend the time/ money to get a 4 yr or better degree??? Maybe a combination thereof?

Start with the easier certs like A+, Net+, etc. Enroll and get your associates. You can get a job as a PC tech with just an A+. Experience is also a big plus. If you have several years experience and some good certs it may be enough to make an employer overlook the lack of a degree. I got shot down many times due to lack of experience even though I had an associates degree. Many companies require a BS or at least an associates degree for mid-level to top-level jobs. More documents on your wall means more Benjamins in your pocket.

Ya, I knew the certs put more money in your pocket. I have four years of college, and no degree. LOL, I have the computer classes done, just not 18 hours of Gen Ed's and was wondering if it would be better for me to get a load of certs, Sun Certified Java and MS developer, over having a degree. Seems like it's evenly divided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom