A+ Certification Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
I have a question for who ever can answer this. Im 15 so i dont know if i can do this or not. So this is my question at what age can one take this A+ certification test and where can one find a place to take this test. My main question is if i can do it right know take the test and stuff or what do i need to do at a certain classs or what thank you if you can answer my question.

Im not positive, but i think you have to be atleast 18. I would think you can just walk in and try. But sometimes you have to take certain classes to even try those test. Personally, i think you have to take those classes. So they dont have all these people failing. That would prevent stupid people just walking in, failing test and wasting time.

you can sign up for the tests without participating in the classes, ie. if you took the class from an online souce or say smart certify. I would not attempt the test without such a class because it is not cheap to attempt the test and if you fail you will not get your money back. as for the age why dont you check out compTIA's website in there faq, I would post a link but I am lazy right now because I just got to work :):cyclopes:

Good luck on the test though. I would try getting a degree first. Compays only want people with degrees.

Codeine said:
Good luck on the test though. I would try getting a degree first. Compays only want people with degrees.

Thats not completely true. Hands on experience plays a large roll in this field and usually gets looked at highly. If you have a tech with 4 years of hands on experience with a A+ and MSCE or CCNA he will more than likely get the job over someone with a 4 year degree in info tech and 0 years hands on experience. Also by hands on I mean for a legit business or firm not fixing grama and neighbors PC's :)

Also do not under estimate this test. I have been in I.T. for 5 years now starting as a young pup, and thought because I could build a PC from the ground up and repair them with ease I could walk in and pass it without studying. I have yet to attempt to take it, but had my company sign me up for online authorized A+ training. I took a practice exam and scored reallyyy low on detailed items relating to computer technology's that I have never encountered as a tech. However because I am a network administrator I freakin kicked butt in the network sections which counted for a lot of points, also the troubleshooting portions I did really good on. I should be ready to take it in about 2-3 weeks.

There is a little crap that will bring you down...things like what controls serial devices? I thought the Mobo, but no it is a little chip called UART. Besides having to remember the IRQ assignments, DMA assignments, I/O assignments, AT vs baby AT vs ATX styles, etc etc...thats the crap that will prove to be most difficult I think. We will find out very soon :)

I am 16 and also hope to take the test very soon, I have found practice exams and usually do great the 2nd time around, but y the hell do they ask what type of cable is this, and u cant say parallel male or anything u have to list the part number like 18 pin or 28 dc or something. that's gonna kill me, and i always get confused on which IRQ u recieve when u have a keyboard error if its 1, 2, or 300 series.

It is something that you definately need to study for, but I must say its not as hard as you think. I went in stressed out, then walking out thinking to myself "man that was easy" This was a few years back and maybe things changed, but the basics are the same. a few practice tests the day before are your best bet.

Codeine said:

When I went for my current position, a requirement was a bachelors in CIS, or CS. Not having one I went for it anyways, I guess a good attitude, a little experience, some certs, and great references will beat out that degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom