Which Certification to get first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTFBWY

Solid State Member
Title says it all, which certification should I go for first?
I've heard A+, but I've also heard other things.

Doesn't matter the certification, all I am really trying to do is get my foot in the door at any job. (Jobless)
I am willing to take some courses, so I am trying to figure out where to start, and whats the best option.
I have a pretty good knowledge on computers and the hardware, though I have no programming experience or any other type of technical job experience.

If you help me figure this out, I'll go ahead and keep a log of my daily learning at the course, and let you know how it goes.

Any questions, let me know!

Since you don't have job experience in IT I would definately say the A+. Go purchase a book by Mike Meyers. The book should be comprehensive and will cover all aspects of the A+ (there are two exams you have to take, one is the 'core essentials' and the other you choose from two other exams, a depot technician and the other is remote technician). Check there website out. A+ Certification, CompTIA A+ Certifications

I will say just make sure when purchasing and studying material that you are getting the 600 level exam. They come out with one every three years or so, so there are still 300 level exams out there which is the old exam published in 2003.

Next I would get the Net+ exam, but they JUST came out with a new exam this february (2009). So the earliest publication that I can find wont' be out until June or so. So IMO you should wait on that one. Take the A+ first, then do the Net+ later.

On training, it really depends on how you learn. Myself I learn betterby just reading a book and studying material myself. Some people cannot do that and NEED to have a classroom setting - in which case you could take a class at your local technical college. I just can't spend 1500 dollars on a class when you can purchase a 80 dollar book, then take the exams (which are pretty pricey at around $163 a pop, so you'll spend 300+ dollars total).

Microsoft Certifications are also looked upon highly. Really the question is, what do YOU want to do? you want to move into the IT field, what are you wanting to start out as in the IT field? A+ is the foundation, as well as Net+, but depending on where you want to move in the IT would depend on what exam you'd take next.

I'd like to get into programming eventually one point in time, something that makes good money. I am the same way you are, I don't like class settings, so I will most likely buy a book, since you said you could one by reading a book, which makes my life a whole lot easier.

Programming is probably my highest goal in the IT field, though, not sure which path to take, I heard software was a good business to get into, and you make decent money.

I've also heard CCNA was a good field, though, I heard it can be quite boring, but I have no experience in it, so I may enjoy it.

I will definitely get my A+ first, since you said its the foundation, and I will then go ahead and get my Net+.
After all of this big task (If it is a big task?), providing what you said, what would you suggest?
Also, how hard is the A+ Test, along with the Net+? I heard they were rather easy.

Well it is a bit different if you are wanting to go the programming route. Reason being is there wouldn't really be a need for the hardware certifications - since you would just be programming. While programming makes more money then hardware support, a system admin position would make more than both (supporting, configuring, and implimenting servers).

Unless you want to get a BS in programming, your best bet would be to get a few MS certifications in the programming language of your choice. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.mspx#TOOLS

The A+ isn't as easy as people say. It was easier when in only consisted of one exam that was cut and dry so to speak. They would ask a question and you answered it, like what an IRQ is or how fast USB is. The 600 level exams (since there are two now) give you a situation and you'll have to provide the best fit for that particular question. My MCTS exam was much harder than my A+ exam, but that doesn't mean the A+ was a breeze.

Again I don't know how you learn and how fast and what you already know. Pickup that book by Mike Meyers and read up. They have exams in there and test questions similar to what you'll see on the exam.

I haven't taken the Net+ yet - i'm going to take it in september after Mike Meyers publication comes out in August :)

What is the best route to get into for getting a System Admin Job? As you explained above?

That is a tough question to answer. The best answer I can give you is experience. While certifications help, even with a MCSE NO COMPANY will allow you to be their system admin without 5 to 7 years of proven work experience in the IT field supporting the hardware. It depends on the company as well, some companies require knowledge that others may not. ROUGHTLY it would go something like this (from lowest to highest): help desk, desktop support, network support, server support, server monitoring and admin, server architecture, then a system admin where you essentially provide the solutions for the company from an IT standpoint. Everything from top (domain configuration and implimentation) to bottom (desktop settup, not the day to day repairs though as someone else would probably do that).

This is the course that i'm trying to go. I'm trying to get a desktop support job right now. Once i hold that position for a while i'll try moving into more of a server role. I'm working on my MCITP: Enterprise Administration in Windows Server 2008 so that once I have that certification and the desktop support under my belt they'll let me 'tinker' with the servers. Once i have some hands on experience first hand I would be able to get a job just doing that (instead of just helping whomever allowed me to learn the technology at the previous position).

Thanks for all the help.
Another question I might ask is, what kind of payroll am I going to be looking at?
I know its a bit hard to say, as every company is different, but what is average? ;)

Again that depends on the role an your location there was a guide posted in this section a day or so ago.

It is just my personal opinion that anyone working in IT should have a A+ or at least studied for it, I know one web development company where the guy's are great at creating websites but the moment one of there computers goes belly up or has a problem they panic an call some one like myself.

Yes, I do live in the US, the topic you were referring to, said with A+ I could get 68k a year, I imagine thats not correct, though I wish it was.
I went ahead and got a book for A+, and I am going to start reading it here now.
I thank everyone here for the help.
Any comments or any questions are welcome.

Also, where would I go about getting my A+, just a local community college?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom