A+ Certification Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
Hello. I am headed back to school this fall to work on getting my bachelors in computer science. In the meantime, I wanted to get my A+ Certification. I am seeking advice on what to study and practice. In addition, should I take an A+ Certification course at a local community college or just work on self study? If I set my mind to it, I know I could do the self study and save money, but I might gain more insight in the actual course. Also, if I do the self study, are there any good books to use? What about good online resources? Thank you all for any help and tips you can provide.

your going for a Bachelor's in computer science ehh?

that's what I plan on doing, what school?

for your A+ Cert, I couldn't tell you about taking an actual "A+ Certification course" but I got my A+ last month and the self study wasn't a huge deal, as long as you have a good idea of how computer works and enjoy them then you'll be fine, for materials just go to your nearest Barnes and Noble and grab a good,thick A+ Certification study guide/prep book, there's a couple of them out, you can go on Amazon also,

I think the book i used was about 800 pages, but it was very useful

good luck bro

Yes I am. I am headed to the University of Kansas for my undergraduate work and then I plan on getting a doctorate in the field as well. I am looking for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaigne for my graduate work. We'll see. Anyhow, I have decided to pursue the self study since I initially posted. Amazon has a few good books online. Does the actual test itself for the certification cost around $200? Thanks for the reply.

Their are two tests to take to get your A+.

A+ Certification, CompTIA A+ Certifications

The first is the essentials exam, which you have to take. The second one is one of three exams. You choose one out of the three to take depending on the direction you want to take your career. Prices should be on the website, I'm not positive about the exact prices, I think each costs between $150-$199 or so. You can also get a discount, but I believe that depends on your employer if you're already working in the industry.

I picked up a book for $75 that's 1000 pages, it's great. It covers all of the tests. Your local B&N should have multiple A+ books, you can always check online for reviews of the books first.

Alright, thank you for the feedback. I have read that this book:
Mike Meyers' CompTIA A+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting PCs, Second Edition
Is a good one. It also appears to have gotten good reviews on Amazon.com. I didn't know if anyone has had experience with the book personally, used a different book which was great, or has any comments regarding it. Thanks for the feedback.

I swear by Mike Meyers :). Seriously the man knows his stuff and his book is awesome IMHO.

You'll have to take two exams to get the A+, both run $163. You will also want to ensure you purchase a book by Mike Meyers for the 600 level exams as those are the most recent.

Thank you Lex. I am going to pick one up here shortly. Looks like amazon has the one I need for less than $40.

hopefully this applys to what you need to know. Does it matter that i have the 2006 A+ in depth comptia book by jean andrews and the test that im scheduled to take is the 2007 objectives? This was a book bought 2 days ago at barns and nobles. thanks

what's this about 2 exams you have to take? my friend went to a vocational school for a A+ hardware class...took one exam, and got A+ certified..so how are there 2 exams??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom