which cert to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
hi.
i recently started working as a help desk in a company which services pretty much overall IT (we do all networking, servers, security etc). i'm positioned at one of their clients and doing toubleshooting on windows and other network problems.
but my dream is to become a programmer (i'm not sure in which language yet). i only have AA from a tech private school and no certificate.
i would like to start taking some certificates but have no idea where to start. A+ seems to be where i should start but where do i go after that? is microsoft certificate usefull for programmers?

MCSA & MCSE w/ CCNA opens many doors.

Programming certs are rather pointless. All you need is skill and experience. All programming jobs will require proof of working program creations.

for a while, i looked for an entry level programming job. but with no experience (as you were saying) it was nearly impossible. there were some companies who were looking for enrty level but they decided that it was not worth for them to sponsor my visa in the US. (i'm japanese) *sigh*
so considering that i'm a helpdesk now, what do you suggest me to do? creat something and show?

i'd definately consider building a porfolio.

View all Microsoft Certifications

The Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD) credentials distinguish you as an expert Windows Application Developer, Web Application Developer, or Enterprise Applications Developer. These credentials demonstrate that you can build rich applications that target a variety of platforms using Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.

Microsoft Certified Application Developers (MCADs) use Microsoft technologies to develop and maintain department-level applications, components, Web or desktop clients, or back-end data services.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCSD Microsoft Certified Solution Developers (MCSDs) design and develop leading-edge business solutions with Microsoft development tools, technologies, platforms, and the Microsoft Windows architecture.

bradybnmci said:
MCSA & MCSE w/ CCNA opens many doors.

Programming certs are rather pointless. All you need is skill and experience. All programming jobs will require proof of working program creations.

For any kind of job you will need experience and skill. For moving on up and bonuses you need certifications. So programming certifications are not pointless. I would go for the MCSD or MCPD. MCSD is considered the top programming certification.

Thank you for your suggestions. Now I feel more clear with the direction I want to take. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom