A+ Cert and Beyond, with a degree in economics

Well, MTA IT infrastructure is just the category - there are 4 certs under it. Network, security, server, and Windows OS.

I suppose that preparing for IC3 and Strata would help with the MTA, but you'll definitely need to know more. The MTAs are pretty basic, but something like the IC3 is just plain old computer literacy, like knowing the difference between RAM and ROM. The MTAs are going to be a cut above that.

If you're starting off at almost zero knowledge then IC3/Strata -> MTA -> A+/Net+ -> MCSA/vendor-specific-cert would be a good path. I personally think that any certs below A+ are worthless (A+ isn't all that, either), but you do want to have the knowledge and skills that those exams are supposed gauge.

I'm not sure i would go as far as saying they are worthless, but anyone with a little IT knowledge can pass MTA and A+. They are definitely a starting point and i always suggest people get them anyways to get your feet wet.

As for them preparing you for an MCSA - absolutely NOT. These exams aren't even related in terms of content or subject matter. You need to either lab for months at a time or have real world experience to pass a Microsoft server exam (my experience and opinion).

Back
Top Bottom