CCNA and CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustinb1313

Solid State Member
Hi, I was thinking of taking a course that offers the CCNA and then after taking the CCNP course. They are offered at a tech collage and take about a year to complete each. I live in Vancouver does anyone know the job situation? What could I expect to earn with these certificates? What about other countries? where could I work?
Thanks for any help.

I will be diving into both of those in the future. While they are proprietary they are good certifications, they go over networking specificaly relating to cisco routers and protocols. They are both pretty hard, I suggest reading up on them first before deciding to take the class it may be harder then you think.

I suggest reading multiple books on them and many other sources to truly grasp all the information and pass the tests.

If you would like more information on CCNA and CCNP please visit this forum and post in the appropriate sections.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/index.php?c=4

Dustinb1313 said:
Hi, I was thinking of taking a course that offers the CCNA and then after taking the CCNP course. They are offered at a tech collage and take about a year to complete each. I live in Vancouver does anyone know the job situation? What could I expect to earn with these certificates? What about other countries? where could I work?
Thanks for any help.

Well if I was in your position and networking is really what I wanted to do I would go to a 4 year school and get a degree and while getting the degree I would get these certificates. These certificates matched with a 4 year degree you could have yourself a nice career. With just the certificates I dont think you could get a real networking job. I dont know how the IT market is in canada but I would think it would be overflowed as in the US. With the degree and the certificates you could probally earn between 35-40k. You could work at really any place managing and maintaining a network.

The only problem I see is you should get the CCNA during 4 year school then find a job, then later when you have the actual experience get the CCNP. Employers really dont like a candidate to have the CCNP before they have any actual experience.

Dustinb1313: My question to you would be if you have any other certifications?

CCNA and CCNP are both very hard if you don't know about other basic information.

If you don't already have them I suggest taking A+ and Network+; Server + is also another you could look into.

Yeah, but what I think would be better is good ol college. If you go to a 4 year college for networking after your 1st year you would no trouble passing CCNA or CCNP. Even though Ste is right about A+, Network+ etc they do look good with employers and they are a good beginning. I think people should forget about certifications until you're in college or out of college.

raross said:
Yeah, but what I think would be better is good ol college. If you go to a 4 year college for networking after your 1st year you would no trouble passing CCNA or CCNP. Even though Ste is right about A+, Network+ etc they do look good with employers and they are a good beginning. I think people should forget about certifications until you're in college or out of college.

i think ppl should study for the entry level certs while still in college. My school even put me through CCNA 1-4 for credit.

But what kinda gets me is that my company's current network admin was hired a year before me and got his MSCE & MCDBA right outta HS. As soon as he passed, he got promoted to network & database admin, salaried, and started working 70 hour weeks. He says he burned himself out and never went to college. I got a 2 year degree which got me a 25 dollar bonus check; im not bitter....really. They give raises for certs that relate to our job; cept ccna cus their routers are managed by third parties, such BS i swear. They gave me as much as my annual raise for MCP. Im currently studying for my MCSE & MCDBA which will prolly get me salaried. Then most likely transfering to a four year school that takes all my credits; YAY!

csamuels said:
i think ppl should study for the entry level certs while still in college. My school even put me through CCNA 1-4 for credit.

But what kinda gets me is that my company's current network admin was hired a year before me and got his MSCE & MCDBA right outta HS. As soon as he passed, he got promoted to network & database admin, salaried, and started working 70 hour weeks. He says he burned himself out and never went to college. I got a 2 year degree which got me a 25 dollar bonus check; im not bitter....really. They give raises for certs that relate to our job; cept ccna cus their routers are managed by third parties, such BS i swear. They gave me as much as my annual raise for MCP. Im currently studying for my MCSE & MCDBA which will prolly get me salaried. Then most likely transfering to a four year school that takes all my credits; YAY!

Yeah I do agree with you. It seems odd he would make more then you do out of hs and you're the educated one. Maybe he knows someone? It always helps if you know people. It's truly unfair when you're more qualified then the person and he ends up getting the job just because his dads dad knew the owner of the company etc. Best of luck to you though in the future.

wow i am really looking into this as well. i have a 2 yr degree in electonics and computer technology, so my knowledge of cisco isn't to little.... i just cant find any school around my area to ask questions... any links that will aid my search??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom