CCENT vs N+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachely

Beta member
I work in a networking environment but from a customer service delivery perspective and want to get a decent technical background to support my current job and provide me with a better understanding of how everything works. What do you recommend, CCENT or N+? My current company is a Cisco certified partner but I want to study what would give me the best background.

I've been asking the same question for days now and have yet to recieve a reply. Hopefully you will so i can know which book to order

I would suggest going with the CCENT if you are planning on going after CCNA. The network+ is a more generalized cert and because of which it is not looked at in the same light as the CCNA

If you are like me and are a hands on learner I would suggest getting a used Cisco router from ebay, I bought a Catalyst series router and set it up at home and just played around with it. Books are great for some but I learn by doing. One thing you with def want is a laptop with serial port--they sell usb adapters but they are flaky

You must of read my mind i was just about to ask you which router should i buy off ebay because i saw so many and my mind went blank on which on to get. I found some Transignal videos but it came out in 2007 so i bet its out of date right?

Guess i'll start learning now i was going to wait till i got to houston and take some classes on cisco along with trying to finish up my Bachelors i was wondering is ITT tech a good school or Devry ? there i go asking a million questions again but thats how i am

Get both of them.

CCENT is CISCO version of Network+. I'm in the process of studying for the ICND1 (CCENT test) and the Network+. So far, going over materials, they are practically nearly identicle.

Just go on Amazon and purchase one of the latest Network+ Study Guides. for like $30-40. (Recommend "Network+ for Dummies if you're really new to it) and once you study up through the book, challenge the Network+ exam.

However, I'd strongly recommend getting your A+. The background information in the A+ will help you considerably when trying to understand the material.

CCENT, just get a CCNA Library. I got mine used. I thas two books. One for the ICND1 exam (CCENT) the next is ICND2 (CCNA).

I got study books to both for a total of $37,89 as one package. Very detailed information. And they come with discs so you can use a "Simulator" to practice the features on them. Like setting up a WAN, interfaced with several different LANs. And troubleshooting issues in your network. WIthout having to buy a CISCO Router etc. etc. etc.

Forgot to add: After Network+ and CCENT are obtained, go and get your CCNA. (next test, ICND2), Security+, and CCSP. and just keep going up from there.

I was torn on which cert to get. I went with CCENT. It is great because it is halfway to get your CCNA also, so you can have 2 certs pretty easily. CCENT also gives you a little more specific training, including switch commands on Cisco switches.

Self study can be okay, but to get a really good handle on everything, I recommend CED Solutions. I attended one of their boot camps in Atlanta. The training I received was excellent, real world training. The don't just teach the test. I feel like I actually learned some great things that have real world relevance to my job. The staff was very helpful, and really knew how to break everything down so it is easy to understand. That, combined with their study materials, helped to earn my a 925 out of 1000, and my first certification.

I'm registered to take the Cisco CCNA classes starting in October and I plan to take the CCENT exam immediately after finishing the second class. The CCNA is 2 exams with the CCENT being the first. In my opinion, it's better to break them up then take a test on something you learned months ago. In addition, I am looking into the Microsoft MCSA certification. It's 3 exams and an "elective". One of the options for the elective is the combination of CompTIA's A+ and N+ certs. If the N+ and CCENT are so similar, it might benefit you to get both, depending on what other certs you plan on going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom