Career Plans - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Technology Careers and Education
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mike9182
Default Career Plans

I enjoy learning math and chemistry, and math is my strongest subject. Currently, my gpa is roughly a 3.8, and I am taking online AP chemistry and calculus courses through thinkwell.com. I am currently a high school junior and have been considering several career options. Originally, my plans were to get a degree in computer science. Then, I started considering a double major in computer science and chemistry. Another option that I have thought about and which I think would interest me is computer engineering. What are the pros and cons of each of these options and which do you think would suit me best?

I have also been thinking about what college I should attend. I would prefer that the college be here in PA. Bucknell, Carnegie Mellon, and Penn State are three of the universities I have been considering. Penn State is only about an hour from home, which is nice. I have found that Carnegie Mellon and Bucknell are both high ranking schools for engineering. Bucknell is particularly appealing due to it being ranked number 5 for computer science by US News. How big of a difference will the rank of the school that I atttend make in the long run? Also, I will not be able to go to a school such as Bucknell unless I receive a very large number of scholarships. I have recently taken the PSAT and have not yet received my scores. I also have a high chance of receiving a track scholarship.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Career Plans

Get a computer engineering degree. I think you'd really enjoy working in something like an R&D department. An understanding of programming and electronics would really help you with that, and from what you mentioned I think you'd be good at that.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Putting the X in Sapper

From a salary standpoint, computer engineering is the best way to go. Of course salary probably shouldn't be your deciding factor. Computer science is what I would choose, just because I like programming and software more than I like the hardware side of things.

I would not recommend double majoring, as this is extremely hard to do and you want to enjoy your college experience. I have two friends who double majored, and they have had to take classes every summer and around 18 credit hours every semester. not fun.
850w Thermaltake PSU | Cooler Master Centurian 590 | 2x Dell 22" LCD

-900HA EEE pc
Old 10-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mike9182

Where would computer engineering jobs be found? Also, in order to find a good job will I need to get a graduate degree?