Career Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike9182

In Runtime
I enjoy learning math and chemistry, and math is my strongest subject. Currently, my gpa is roughly a 3.8, and I am taking online AP chemistry and calculus courses through thinkwell.com. I am currently a high school junior and have been considering several career options. Originally, my plans were to get a degree in computer science. Then, I started considering a double major in computer science and chemistry. Another option that I have thought about and which I think would interest me is computer engineering. What are the pros and cons of each of these options and which do you think would suit me best?

I have also been thinking about what college I should attend. I would prefer that the college be here in PA. Bucknell, Carnegie Mellon, and Penn State are three of the universities I have been considering. Penn State is only about an hour from home, which is nice. I have found that Carnegie Mellon and Bucknell are both high ranking schools for engineering. Bucknell is particularly appealing due to it being ranked number 5 for computer science by US News. How big of a difference will the rank of the school that I atttend make in the long run? Also, I will not be able to go to a school such as Bucknell unless I receive a very large number of scholarships. I have recently taken the PSAT and have not yet received my scores. I also have a high chance of receiving a track scholarship.

Get a computer engineering degree. I think you'd really enjoy working in something like an R&D department. An understanding of programming and electronics would really help you with that, and from what you mentioned I think you'd be good at that.

From a salary standpoint, computer engineering is the best way to go. Of course salary probably shouldn't be your deciding factor. Computer science is what I would choose, just because I like programming and software more than I like the hardware side of things.

I would not recommend double majoring, as this is extremely hard to do and you want to enjoy your college experience. I have two friends who double majored, and they have had to take classes every summer and around 18 credit hours every semester. not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom