career consideration

halofive

Beta member
I am trying to get into the field but I would like to know that all efforts that I am planning on taking don't become a disappointment in the end. I am looking to go to a community college to get a degree in networking to get my foot in the door and build some experience. I am then planning on getting a computer engineering degree hopefully at a masters level.

Is this a good game plan?

Should I just focus on the masters degree and forgo the networking degree?

Should I jus go through a CS course to help with the networking?

I like the CE idea bc I like to build things. Will this eventually be lucrative?

I have an opportunity to become a police officer but I do not want a 25 dollar an hour ceiling.

I know it takes a lot of dedication, experience, and education to make it. Security is another one of my gears as well. I jus want to learn as much as possible to keep my options open.

Any advice would be helpful. Sorry......I know that this subject seems to get harped on here a lot. Thanks in advanced

Alex

Last edited:
IMO, pick one of the fields you listed, and try to stick with it.

CE will be closer to building actual components, not building systems. It includes theory behind them, electronics, etc. This is what I've understood from most CE descriptions, anyway.

CS is programming based. You didn't mention that in any of the above that would interest you, so not sure if you'd want to go that route or not. I'm finishing up my BS in CS right now, but I've enjoyed the programming aspect.

For networking, you'll want to get certifications in various things (such as CCNA, etc.) while getting a degree. That will make you look better on applications, and you'll be more knowledgeable.

Networking would help a lot with Security, but there's also dedicated degrees for security.

So you kinda have to ask yourself which you'd rather be doing. Being a jack-of-all trades is extremely difficult, as each field is very in depth. Knowing a little about everything isn't always as good as knowing a lot about a few things.

I'm sure somebody else can chime in and give better advice than I, but that's my take on it.

For entry level, I would suggest going straight for a Bachelor's. If that's not practical, then get your AAS from community college and work towards getting your Bachelor's. You can get your start with an Associate's, but a Bachelor's will be more helpful and start you off at higher pay. Getting a Master's should help you later on in your career but it might actually hurt you when trying to get your foot in the door.

I can't see how computer engineering would not pay well, but I don't have any advice on how to get into that. Security is a good field to get into, and that is what I'm working towards. However, entry level security doesn't exist and you need to be an experienced professional to even get started.

Typically there are two paths into IT - help desk/NOC/call center/repair tech to get your foot in the door and then work your way up, or join the military.

I don't know what you're doing now, but if you need work and you've got the opportunity then it wouldn't be a bad idea to work as a cop while you're going to school. You might even be able to find an IT position in the police. Just don't let being a cop go to your head.

Some general rules of thumb to keep in mind:

- Having a degree is more important than having an IT/CS degree.
- Networking with industry professionals and making connections is important.
- Experience matters most - volunteer work and internships can help with this.
- Degrees and certs look good to HR but the manager you'll be working under will care more about your knowledge and ability.

Well being form Scotland things might be slightly different. In my opinion getting hands on experience is essential. Yes learn the fundamentals and grow academically but that is not the "be all and end all". After leaving school I went to college for two years, then on to University for a further for years. One of those years was spent working on placement (internship) at a software company where I learnt about working under pressure and time management for example. The years experience was so valuable in getting my foot in the door as companies prefer experience to masters/phds any day....

I like the CE idea bc I like to build things.
Engineering is not so much about building things as it is about designing things. CE is half electrical engineering and half computer science. From what you've stated, it doesn't sound like it's the field you're looking for. However, once you're exposed to some of the course work, you may find you really like it.

From personal expierence the degree doesnt neccessarily get you in the door certifications do. The degree is more for when you have established yourself and your trying to move into management. Security is a great field i was actually studying it but im considering changing into web development but anyways. security and networking tie into each other pretty well so i would focus on getting some certs under your belt building a server lab at home to get expierence get into the field and see what you like

A lot of good advice here. I personally would get a degree if you can, even an associates would be better then nothing. While getting your associates try to get a few certifications.

Imo the best thing to have in the IT industry is experience, next comes a degree then after that certifications.

Try to get your foot in the door and work your way up. Realize with no experience you won't get a system admin or networking job. You'll start off usually as a helpdesk or desktop support and move up from there.

Yep pretty much most likely helpdesk and honestly depend on who your working for its not a bad start. I started as a helpdesk but i got to do some sys admin stuff. Right now im a level 2 desktop support its pretty boring but the salary i get is very good for the title you just have to dedicate yourself. Sometime you will have to invest your own money into training you cant rely on the company to pay for everything but you will usually alwasy make back what you spent if not more when you are able to aquire that cert or degree

dd is right now. Get your foot in the door - no job is below you. I too started as a helpdesk tech, moved up to level 2, then moved to another company doing desktop support now i'm a network admin (all within 5 years).

Not every company will pay for training either, but what you HAVE to do is spend the time training yourself. Too many people just get a job and stay there. They don't plan for the future, they don't try to better themselves. If you apply yourself, study and train you can go far in this industry.

Back
Top Bottom