Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkme323

Beta member
Hey guys, I could really use some help with this decision. I currently work for a large mutual fund company and enjoy the company and the people there. The problem is the company is very far from my home (28 miles) and it's not in my field of study (I have a B.S. in Management Information Systems and I'm working as a mutual fund analyst). I was recently offered a job much closer to home that will put me back in IT, this job will also pay me slightly more.

The sticking point is that I've become fairly comfortable at my current place of work and I'd be moving from a very large company to a fairly small one where I would be the only IT guy, which is a lot of pressure in of itself. My offical title would be "IT Manager" and I'd be performing basic duties such as monitoring the server, the active directory, and support issues. I'm a little nervous about being THE guy, but at the same time I want to get back into IT. I'm really torn over this, and help/advice is appreciated.

Go for it, ask the company if they will pay for things like recertification or getting more IT certifications.

Such as CISSP, CCNA, NET+, etc etc, if they will be pay for them, go for it.

Go for it, ask the company if they will pay for things like recertification or getting more IT certifications.

Such as CISSP, CCNA, NET+, etc etc, if they will be pay for them, go for it.

Yeah, they already stated that they would pay for all of my certifications, so that's definitely a plus. I'm just a little nervous because this seems like a pretty big undertaking.

Right if your qualified in IT i would go back into IT, its closer to home this job it has better pay an you will be working for a smaller company. The most common thing you will have to do is solve a windows bug or a user wont be able to do something an you will have to go an show them.

If you did have any trouble or if you came across a problem you are more than welcome to post here for information / help.

No risk no reward.
I'd hop on it in an instant.

Make sure to research the company as well though. Ask about their company business plan, future projections, profit etc...

well if BS is ur only qualification with no certifications then i guess take a second thought..
compare the pay packets from both the sides n go in for cisco certifications , will be very helpful....
if ur prime priority is the field of interest then take the risk ....
gotto to put lot of handwork cuz u gotto study for certification and keep ur work profile...
the decision is urs......!

if your young, do it :) but you also have to consider the fact that small companies are not always stable where as the current job is bigger i assume its more stable

but my limited experience (slightly less than 3 years of permanent work experience) tells me you should make the jump

Giving a position the title of "IT Manager" and then only expecting "basic duties" doesn't jive. You need to get more information on the specific duties, responsibilities, and expectations of the position.

How long have you been out of IT? I agree it is an undertaking being the only IT professional and if you aren't toally comfortable with the field (i know you have a degree but if you don't have any certifications AND you've been out of the field for a while you may be getting in over your head, setting yourself up for your new jobs to second guess their decision).

Money isn't the only thing that will make you happy, if you really enjoy your current job and the pay isn't a whole lot more don't just jump ship. Evaluate if you are wanting a change, if you are really happy or just comfortable in your position then go from there. Realize that within a small company there isn't much room to move up, and that unless the company expands a whole lot or REALLY underpays you when you first get the position there may not be much more pay increase - which is usually the issue with small companies.

Personally, if it was me i would go for it. Get the experience, see where the job takes you and if you end up getting 'stuck' use the job as a stepping stool for getting an IT job at a larger company with more room to grow in your career.

Bigger companies are no more stable than smaller ones. Any company can disappear tomorrow. Look at Enron and their accountants. Both major corporations and both gone within weeks of the bad news hitting. If you can afford to take the risk (i.e., you and/or your family can survive if this job does not work out and you have to search for a new one), then go for it. The fact that you are interested in this new opportunity likely means that you will not stay at your current company, anyway, in the years ahead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom