Career in IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenlam

Baseband Member
I'm currently a university student in the UK studying Computing Science, I graduate soon and i'm clueless about what I want to do in the future... right now with the qualifications that I have, I should be a programmer, but the thing is that I HATE programming, what kind of jobs are out there with high salery?

I was thinking about being an IT manager for a company, if I do what sort of stuff will I have to know about? the other option is to be a project manager, so what will I need for that? or if anyone has any better options please feel free to tell me!

In two years time after my placement and final year I am hoping to move away from UK and maybe go to places far away, maybe Hong Kong or somwhere in the East.

Thanks

slow down...
:)

when it comes to IT and careers... it is best for you AND your employer for managers to have "experience".

I'm not talking about managing experience, BUT real, front line project experience.

If you hate programming, I don't see how you can be a good manager of programmers.

Of 5 years of custom application development, I can tell you from experience... THE BEST managers were ones that started from the ground up. (ie. they were small time programmers at the beginning)

And people or consultants dislike (hate) managers who don't know a thing about programming... know what I mean.

As far as "high salary"... there are a few threads/post in this forum that talk about salary....

Good Luck

exactly... slow down... you can't go straight into high salary... not very likely... experience is key, plus if you're management you have to know what you're talking about, just as larry said, otherwise your workers will doubt your credibility.

Example... I'm a low-level tech/wire monkey at my job and work alongside a programmer, who has ideas about network topology, but not a technically savvy type person. I don't like it when non-techs tell me how to do my job. I don't mind hearing what the end result should be, just not HOW to do it.

[/rant]

My uncle is a Database/Network Manager and it took him nearly 20 years. He used to do a lot of programming and now he just orders people about.

He is actually doing interviews today for a programmer :)

It is ok to hate the idea of being a programmer, and still work with them. The important part is you have programming training. Is there any work study programs over there?

Beleive it or not, success is more attitude than aptitude. Develope relationships with people in the industry and see what they do. I am sure there is plenty of advice for you form these people.

Im in my second year of uni, in another 3 years ill be a Paediatric Doctor.
Talk to your carreer adviser thats what I did in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom