Can you pursue a career in IT with a Felony?

kcrasch

Baseband Member
I have a Felony on my record from 2002. I was 17 at the time, but I was charged as an adult. (I was beyond an idiot then) Since then I have completely turned my life around and have worked hard . . . extremely hard to change myself. I am now 29 and have been in college for 4 years on and off. I have a wife and kid while juggling different jobs over the years ranging from waiting tables to GM of a restaurant to Crew Chief of a Survey Crew doing as-built. Needless to say school is slow going.

Anyway . . . I have just finished all of my basics and have begun my A+ classes on my way toward a Computer Engineering Technology degree. I have had a insatiable desire since I was a child to work with computers, but I have never (oddly enough) considered the possibility of my past holding me back from this dream. Obviously, I believe anything is possible and what you put your mind to can be accomplished, but what are my options (realistically) with the degree plan I am choosing - in the work field after the degree???

I am open to all REAL answers. Do not feel a need to sugar coat. Thanks to all in advance. (Sorry for the life story. Thought a little background would be beneficial to my query). Thanks again.

Any job is open to anyone a long as you possess the qualifications. Just because you have a record doesn't mean you can't over come it. The only thing I would say at this point is be HONEST about it. If they ask a question as if to say have you ever done anything in the last xx amount of years, (and it's past that) then I would say no. But then if I moved on to the hiring process (depending on the job) I might consider saying something to them about it, as an FYI.

You'll have to show a potential employer that you may have done some dumb things, but you have the integrity, and honesty to move on.

Any job is open to anyone a long as you possess the qualifications. Just because you have a record doesn't mean you can't over come it. The only thing I would say at this point is be HONEST about it. If they ask a question as if to say have you ever done anything in the last xx amount of years, (and it's past that) then I would say no. But then if I moved on to the hiring process (depending on the job) I might consider saying something to them about it, as an FYI.

You'll have to show a potential employer that you may have done some dumb things, but you have the integrity, and honesty to move on.

Usually you have to put it on an application, anyway. I've seen it on all of the applications I've done, anyway. Didn't say a timeframe - was just a field if there were any felonies on record or anything like that.

But like Nukem said, just because you have one, doesn't mean it will hold you back.

Honestly depends on the type of work you would be doing, where at, etc.

Be honest. Unfortunately 99% of companies have the felony question on the application. I think the best bet would be to go through a recruiter who knows your job history, hard work and the fact that you do have a felony. Be honest.

I think if you can either go through a recruiter who will go to bat for you or you can get in touch with the person in charge of hiring at a company the felony won't matter. On the other hand, just a blank resume mixed in with a bunch of others will probably be turned down because of the felony. Does that make sense?

I don't think that will stop you from doing a great job and getting a great job, I just see it as making it a bit harder to get your foot in the door. A lot of industries it shouldn't matter anyways IMO. The only places i can see being real hard arses about it would be banking, financial, security or law.

Thanks for the advice all. I figured as much, and that's pretty much what I've gone through with other jobs. No gov. jobs or high security. Networking has been my best friend. Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 29 years old and I also have a felony. I just graduated with a Bachelors degree in Project Management and, oddly enough, my felony hasn't been the biggest issue. My biggest issue has been that every company wants experience. There is hope, though. I have done ALOT of research on finding jobs with a felony and I know of 5 people working in IT with a felony, of which one guy I know personally.
-The guy that I know was told by recruiters that he would never find a job in IT again, even though he has 20 years of experience. His felony was from a year ago and he was able to land a job as a systems analyst supervisor for a smaller company (500 employees).
-I met a guy on a forum 4 years ago who had graduated with a computer science degree. He is out age and did something stupid over 10 years ago. He was able to land a job as a web developer.
-I read in an online newspaper about a guy from California who learned IT skills in prison and after his release was able to land a job for a small company. Now, he is CIO of that company.
-I read about a woman who was recently arrested for a felony and she was still able to land a job as CIO of a government agency.
-Then, there is that guy who was the biggest computer hacker in history. After he was released from jail, he found a job working for the FBI as a consultant.

My information systems professor, who was a hiring manager, told me that I would be able to find a job in IT as long as I'm truthful on the application. He told me that I would never be able to get a security clearance, though.
My state almost passed a law banning employment of felons in IT until five years past the conviction date, which shows that it is possible.

And to clear up some things listed above, you can work in financial, law, *and government.*
-I know of 3 accountants with a felony who have their jobs back. The State Secretary gave one his job back right after he was released from jail, although the decision was scrutinized by the public. Another one went to jail for 2 years for embezzlement and now he is working as an EA. It took the third one four years to get his CPA license back, but he is also working in tax now.
-As far as law goes, I knew that was an option and it was one of the biggest reasons that I plead guilty to my crime. My lawyer told me of a guy who spent a couple years in jail for selling crack and now he is a lawyer (I found this story in an online newspaper as well). I read online about a football player who received a law job after spending a few years in jail because of felonies. I read about 2 or 3 paralegals and a few other lawyers as well. Law is so competitive, that I would never consider it for a career.
-As far as government goes, I gave a couple examples above. I also read in the newspaper about an inspector who had gotten hired with a felony and the decision was scrutinized because he lied on his application. Several governments are banning the felony question on applications, which shows that they are open to hiring with a felony. 4 states last year passed the ban the box law.

Sorry to make this long, but that is the most complicated question that I've ever pondered (besides how human beings came into existence).

Back
Top Bottom