Can someone point me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

airram

Beta member
I will make this as short and to the point as i can. My heart is no longer in this line of work i am currently in. Its good paying, but i no longer wish to be a part of it.

The reason i am here on this site is hopefully someone/body might be able to give some advice on a tech career.

There are so many different avenues in this field that i don't know where to begin. My experience with computers is about on par with the average consumer, but i am willing to learn something thats challenging, and out of the box from what i am currently involved in.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I think strollin is right on, WE can't decide what YOU want to do. I would suggest taking a few courses at your local community college on various IT fields (networking, hardware, programming, server) to see what interests you the most. I don't know what you like to do, and it sounds like you don't either since you haven't working in IT.

I would either read a few books on various subjects like programming, security, network, hardware or server and see what peaks your interest the most. Once you find what you like start studying that field more and try to get jobs within that field.

I will say that without any job experience, education or certifications you will be hard pressed to find that first job (not saying it can't happen, just letting you know it's difficult). I would suggest doing as much free stuff as possible to find what you like or want to do (IE classes, books, reading articles online, etc). Once you find what you want to do start studying that field and take some certifications in it.

It might also be a good idea to go get your associates degree in IT or possibly a bachelors since that will accomplish two things:
1. it gives you a broader understanding of IT and will expose you to multiple fields of IT, from there you can focus on what you want to do
2. it gives you that education that most companies are going to want before hiring you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom