Bioengineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently in a field similar to bioengineering called bioinformatics, particularly research in the field using theoretical computer science. But Bioengineering is a big winner, and will only get bigger over time. The only problem I see with the field is if something bad happens like if 50 people die because of genetic engineering, then this will cause the entire industry to fold. But it is a minor chance you will have to take. The job outlook is very good, especially with companies like Monsanto and Pfizer.

However to get into the industry you will most likely need a PhD, because the industry is so small right now and it is developing exponentially. From what I have seen the only people in the industry without the PhD's would be the administrators (even some of them have PhD's). But it is a very exciting field to be working in and I believe this is where the future lies :). The next big change in computing will likely come from bioinformatics. If you want to talk about it more, feel free to message me.

I see, I'm deciding between Electrical Engineering and Bioengineering. My university offers both of them. I've narrowed it down to those two from the other engineering disciplines.

Can you describe what you do at your job, if it's not personal/classified? I'm quite interested. I've heard about the different jobs EEs can have, but I've never heard of BioEs jobs. Thanks in advance.

Right now I am just doing research not the actual discipline of bioengineering. But I am researching Error-correcting codes for DNA Computing. Which is very interesting, I think bioengineering would be actually putting this to the test. DNA Computing is being researched and worked out currently, it probably will not be publicly available for awhile (decades). Google it though, it is amazing the power that is possible. One artificial gram of DNA promises to store as much data as all the computers in the world and the computing power that is possible with DNA is amazing. They are expanding on this concept, making "good" code words.

You might also want to check out quantum computing, which is not in the Bio discipline but also seems interesting. Bioengineering depending upon which school you go to will focus more on biology engineering then implying computer science to the mix. There are hundreds of other things bioengineers would be doing, although this is the one im most familiar with. One idea is to check several of the top schools and see what they are researching in their bioengineering program. Also stop in at the colleges you are thinking about going to and ask the professors there what kinda stuff they do/work on and what you can expect. Getting opinions from numerous people is always a good thing, then go with what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom