The best computer job. A question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont believe that. Networking is not even on the top 50 jobs in the US. If you like plugging in wires 24/7 for your job, then networking is for you. Networking has become more of a trade. Now you have like I said 18 year olds getting these cisco certifications out of highschool etc. To become a networker you probally would be fine with a 2 year degree.

I have a 'Secret' clearance also (I am graduating with my BS in Computer Science in two weeks) and I currently work out at Lockheed-Martin on a software engineering project, but I don't think that its an instant 80-grand/year.

It is a benefit though, no doubt. Entry level jobs are still closer to 50K-60K/year.

EDIT: I should add that I am not in the military. I got mine as a civilian.

TheHeadFL said:
I have a 'Secret' clearance also (I am graduating with my BS in Computer Science in two weeks) and I currently work out at Lockheed-Martin on a software engineering project, but I don't think that its an instant 80-grand/year.

It is a benefit though, no doubt. Entry level jobs are still closer to 50K-60K/year.

EDIT: I should add that I am not in the military. I got mine as a civilian.

Ofcourse it is not, 80k is the national average pay of software engineers, not the starting salary :). They rate jobs by numerous factors, one of the biggest is the potential job growth and software engineering is around 50% growth projected until 2014. The others include flexibility, stress, salary, etc.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/top50/index.html

worth taking a look at :)

He is right about the clearance being a leg up in the market though....

I only fell into it by chance because I was a US Citizen and most of the people in my particular graduate lab in my school who were more qualified weren't citizens, so they couldn't work on this project. Since I was eligible, they put me on the contract and I had to go through the process. Took me quite a while to get it all squared away, so I can see why it is good to have before applying for a job.

Most of the job postings at some of the employers I see require secret or better clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom