Beginning my education, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpin3star

Baseband Member
I'm almost 19 years old now and a freshman at the University of North Florida. 3 weeks ago, I was determined that I wanted to major in Mechanical Engineering. Since then, however, I have found the actual work in this field to be completely dull and uninteresting to me. I feel that my passion seems to lie in dealing with computers.

My main concern is that I see all of these students that know about Java, php, etc., and I know practically nothing about programming. I have learned some basic HTML and CSS strictly for web design, but these aren't really languages in my opinion. I consider myself computer savvy and an extremely quick learned, but what steps should I take from this point to advance my understanding of computers?

I would like to learn (even if only on a beginner level) a language before next semester, but I am not really sure what language I should start with. I've heard Ruby, Python, Java, and C++ are all good starters, but have not yet received a definite answer or solid reasoning backing up their suggestions. Can anyone contribute any more advice to this?

Also, I have sort of focused on a Computer Science degree after doing some research. I feel that Information Technology isn't as in-depth and focused on the actual mechanics of computers (from the research that I've done). Nevertheless, I thought I would ask opinions before actually altering my major. I don't really have a definite career goal yet, but I like working with software and feel that programming (with my novice opinion) would be fun and challenging, as I am huge on logic and am proficient in math.

Anyhow, I apologize for the long post, I just feel that this is the beginning of my career and I want to make sure that all the details are included.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice in advance! :)

Matt

I wouldn't worry yourself with not knowing languages other than CSS/HTML, it's not really the language that matters, it's the understanding of how programming works. First and foremost, it's a language, and like our spoken/written languages you've got nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc. Once you know what's what and how they work together to form a sentence you just have to learn the different syntax and conjugations of each language, and then it's practice to become fluent. Programming is the same way. An if statement is an if statement in c++, php and javascript. The difference is the syntax behind the if statement to get what you want it to do.

What I've found extremely helpful in my time learning programming is to start with a language like visual basic. With visual studio microsoft pretty much tells you what you need to do to get the program to do what you want. You don't have to pay attention to a lot of things like do i use a ; or : or ,. It's all super basic (hence visual basic) and you have a nice drag and drop UI maker for your program, also you can view the actual code that goes into creating your visual objects. The reason I liked starting with VB is that with C++ or a more useful language you have to worry about learning the syntax, learning how to construct the different bits of code to complete your program, as well as learn when to use an IF AND = THEN vs an IF OR = THEN. Granted if you're a quick learner and really want to get after something that will be immediately applicable then go for C++ as it's an extremely versatile language and from what I've heard about it, it's not that difficult to learn as most people start with it, I'm just a fan of getting in slowly and soaking it all up before I move on.

Hope that helps!

I understand what you're saying and think I'm going to take your advice! I'm checking out Visual Basic now while keeping C++ in mind. Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully I can post an update back here in a couple of days on how things are going. Appreciate the help man. +rep

3 weeks ago, I was determined that I wanted to major in Mechanical Engineering. Since then, however, I have found the actual work in this field to be completely dull and uninteresting to me.
Do you mean actual work in the field or just the academic work? Interestingly, I earned a BS in Mechanical Engineering and then earned an MS in computer science. Currently, I'm employed as a senior software developer.

Having worked for awhile as a manufacturing engineer before entering graduate school, believe me when I say that there is a disconnect between industry and academia. However, there's an even bigger disconnect between computer science and industry. So make sure you don't base your decision strictly on the academic side.

My main concern is that I see all of these students that know about Java, php, etc., and I know practically nothing about programming.
They don't know much either. Even after obtaining your degree, you'll still have only scratched the surface. Since you currently know nothing about programming, anyone who knows anything at all about it may seem like they know a lot.

I consider myself computer savvy and an extremely quick learned, but what steps should I take from this point to advance my understanding of computers?
Enroll in the first class of your university's CS curriculum. You don't really need to do anything else. You shouldn't feel like you're behind. After all, you are in school to learn.

I would like to learn (even if only on a beginner level) a language before next semester, but I am not really sure what language I should start with.
If you want to get a head start, find out what language is used in your first programming class. Find a good beginner's book on that language and start reading.

I've heard Ruby, Python, Java, and C++ are all good starters, but have not yet received a definite answer or solid reasoning backing up their suggestions. Can anyone contribute any more advice to this?
It doesn't matter what language you start with. Just pick one and stick with it. Some are easier to learn than others, but the best language for you, in particular, is the one you will be using in your CS classes.

Nevertheless, I thought I would ask opinions before actually altering my major. I don't really have a definite career goal yet, but I like working with software and feel that programming (with my novice opinion) would be fun and challenging, as I am huge on logic and am proficient in math.
I can relate to your position. Give programming and computer science a shot. If you like it, stick with it. Don't be afraid of changing your major. When I was a freshman in college, I was told that 80% of students change their majors at some point. Unless things have changed quite a bit since 1997, that stat is probably still true. If you want any other specific opinions, just ask. I don't know that mine are worth much, but I still post them here from time to time.

Anyhow, I apologize for the long post, I just feel that this is the beginning of my career and I want to make sure that all the details are included.
You've got plenty of time to decide what to do. Besides, your career doesn't really start until you land your fist job :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to start up Java until I am able to schedule my next class, in which case I intend to swap to whatever language the instructor suggests. I also have an interview at Geek Squad this Thursday, so that is exciting. I know many of you may consider Geek Squad a bad place to work, however, I really just wanted a job related to my field study and to earn some rent money so I can actually continue to study. In my defense, I applied at about 4 local computer repair stores in hopes of something but, like I thought, they were really just interested in well-versed computer technicians.

I know this is a total topic-changer, but if you guys know of some possible questions that Geek Squad will likely ask me during the interview, I would appreciate the advice!

Thanks for the in-depth analysis on my situation as well Jaeusm, I'm taking everyone's advice here and just going for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom