Back in school and need opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

janix2011

Beta member
After being out of high school for eight years, I am finally in college. I just started back in January at a nearby community college. My major at the moment is Computer Information technology, but I am still debating what program would be best for me. I am pretty much set on getting my Associate's, and then maybe sometime in the future after I get myself out of debt, going back for my Bachelor's.

The three programs I am considering are: Computer Information Tech, Networking Tech, and Web Technologies. My questions for those of you currently in the IT field are: What degree would pay more? Which of the three are most sought after? Should I worry about certificates in the meantime?

I enjoy everything "computers", so I really don't have a preference.

IMO you should go for what you enjoy the most. Pay and the amount of jobs will really vary depending on where you live and the market you are entering (IE right now the market isn't great so there aren't that many jobs, so employers can pay less because there are a 100 people for 1 job and competition is tight).

Also pay and the desire for positions will vary with time too - which is why i feel it's important to do what you enjoy. If you do what you like and do a good job, the money will eventually come.

Pay ON AVERAGE would go computer info tech<web technology<networking technology. Network admin or network engineers right now make booko dollar. But i can see in the future web getting more because websites are ever changing and the technology is cutting edge, so i think the future is web.

Network will pay more right now (on average)
Web is probably more sought after, but network is right there too

I would try to get a few general certs too, if you're going for networking get your net+ and CCNA.

If you can afford it and have the patients, get your bachelors. Everyone says they will get their bachelors later, but it won't happen once you start making money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom