Back to College...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spud123

Beta member
Hey folks, just recently started back up with the whole college bit. Found my calling, love the idea of being in the IT field, and have chosen to major in Information System Security. I'm in the process of trying to plan my class progression effectively, and I'm looking for advice. I'm attending online at American Public University System (APUS). The following are my options; I'll be looking forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.

ISSC340 - Local Area Network Technologies (Scheduled on 5/2/2011) 0/3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISSC361 - Information Assurance 0/3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ISSC362 - IT Security: Attack & Defense 0/3

ISSC421 - Computer and Network Security 0/3

ISSC422 - Information Security 0/3

ISSC461 - IT Security: Countermeasures 0/3

ITMG381 - Cyberlaw and Privacy in a Digital Age 0/3

Major Requirements 0/27

Must take the following in this Section:

ISSC342 - Operating Systems: Hardening and Security 0/3

ISSC363 - IT Security: Risk Management 0/3

ISSC471 - IT Security: Auditing 0/3

ISSC481 - IT Security: Planning and Policy 0/3

ISSC490 - IT Security: Business Continuity 0/3

Choose 12 Credit Hours from the following: 0/12

WEBD121 - Web Development Fundamentals 0/3

DSIN121 - Web Page & Web Site Design 0/3

DSIN141 - Image Enhancement using Adobe Photoshop 0/3

DSIN142 - Graphics Design and Print Media 0/3

DSIN241 - Illustration & Design Using Adobe Illustrator 0/3

DSIN242 - Motion Graphics Using Adobe Flash 0/3

ENTD321 - Object Oriented Programming and UML 0/3

ENTD361 - Enterprise Development Using VB.NET: Introduction 0/3

ENTD381 - Object Oriented Programming With Java 0/3

ENTD461 - Enterprise Development Using VB.NET: Advanced 0/3

ENTD462 - Enterprise Development Using ASP.NET 0/3

ENTD463 - Enterprise Development Using C# 0/3

ENTD481 - Enterprise Development using J2EE 0/3

INFO161 - Relational Databases with MS Access: Introduction 0/3

INFO221 - Relational Database Concepts 0/3

INFO261 - Relational Databases with MS Access: Advanced 0/3

INFO262 - Relational Databases with MS Access: Project 0/3

INFO321 - Database Management Systems 0/3

INFO331 - Management Information Systems 0/3

INFO361 - Relational Databases with MS SQL Server 0/3

INFO399 - Information Technology Practicum 0/3

ISSC321 - Computer Systems Organization: Intermediate 0/3

ISSC322 - Computer Systems Organization: Advanced 0/3

ISSC323 - Computer Hardware Systems 0/3

ISSC341 - Introduction to Networking 0/3

ISSC351 - Computer Forensics 0/3

ISSC451 - Cybercrime 0/3

ITMG321 - Information Technology Project Management 0/3

ITMG322 - Project Management Using MS Project 0/3

ITMG371 - Contemporary Internet Topics 0/3

WEBD241 - Web Development Using JavaScript 0/3

WEBD242 - Web Development Using XHTML 0/3

WEBD262 - Web Site Development Using DreamWeaver 0/3

WEBD341 - Enterprise Data Exchange Using XML 0/3

While you've posted the names of the courses we don't exactly know what each class entails. Your best advise should be coming from your advisor at the school. You should be able to say - 'i want to do this with my life and get a degree in this field, what courses do i need to take' and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Every school is different, I guarantee the classes you are taking have different names then the ones I took at my college. You just need to pick a degree field that you like and that will get you in the field you want. If you have 'extra' courses choose courses that interest you.

College is just as much about getting your degree as it is finding out what you like. Take a networking course, if you find you don't like it then you can gear your next semester away from networking.

Hey Spud. I work at American Public University System and came across your question here. Like the poster above it would be best to talk to your advisor on mapping out an academic plan for your degree. As for suggestions on which professor a student prefers, or which classes are more difficult than others you can ask your peers on our fan pages on Facebook. Depending on whether you're an APU or AMU student, here are the two fan pags we have with active students participating daily: AMU: American Military University | Facebook, APU: American Public University | Facebook.

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom