AVG. pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude92

Baseband Member
what are some of the pay rates for:

-PC hardware techs- non customer service just u and the pc.
-Network people that are on call 24 hrs.- to fix the workplace network
-Helpdesk techs- people that help clients around the company w/ the pc's

i restore servers at a webhostin company and i get paid 8 /hr i think it kinda sux but the exp. i get w/ hanging w/ sys admins. is priceless.

Prelude92 said:
what are some of the pay rates for:

-PC hardware techs- non customer service just u and the pc.
-Network people that are on call 24 hrs.- to fix the workplace network
-Helpdesk techs- people that help clients around the company w/ the pc's

i restore servers at a webhostin company and i get paid 8 /hr i think it kinda sux but the exp. i get w/ hanging w/ sys admins. is priceless.

-PC Hardware/software repair techs make average around 20k per year (doesnt matter if you have a degree or not)
-Network Admins would make around 25k without a 4 year degree and around 30k-35k with a degree after 5 years experience.
-Helpdesk I would say 20-25k (doesnt matter if you have a degree or not)

You can easily look these rates up at the national job research site. I am to lazy to find the link for you, but you can easily google it. The only job that semi requires a 4 year degree is network admin. If you're a network admin without a degree you will not make as much and you will not have as much chance to moveup in the company.

Personally I dont understand why someone would want to take one of these jobs compared to other computing jobs. But maybe thats just me?

well csamuels you are correct, but the reason why i was looking for avg pay is because that way you can look at jobs from all over the place and have an idea if it is above or below avg. Of course then you would have to research the cost of living and stuff like that

csamuels said:
It still depends on the company and the area. Best thing to do is to look up employment opportunities.

That is why it is called AVERAGE. :) There are far more variables then just area and company to be worried about. That is why he asked for an average.

The MCPMag Survey is a good one. But you have to really compare and contrast the different results and have some formal knowledge on the subject. For instance looking at the education level salary chart. It says people who they surveyed made about 60,000 or something and people with 4 year degrees made 60,000 also. This is obviously flawed because 60% of the people they interviewed had a college degree and they obviously interviewed people who have been in IT for awhile, so the left over percent that didnt go to college probally are older then middleage who didnt have to go to college in their time and based their pay off of experience only. So the stats behind it get a llittle confusing. Now a days you cant really get into IT without either a 4 year degree or some major experience and the only way to get experience in IT now a days is to either work at an entry level job for a shitload of years or get a 4 year degree. You have to also considered most people who are surveyed about how much they get paid are going to skew it a bit. But thats normal, im sure the SD of that is somewhere.

I have been surprised how far I have gotten without a degree and no certificates..I guess the hands on experience really does count for a lot :) I dont know where I fall into your system, but I do helpdesk/network admin for a Gannett newspaper..dont want to go into details per say but it is above $40k/year I hope to be at like $55-60k before I turn 25 in two years. I started when I was 18 years old right out of high school doing data entry for I.T @$8.00/hr...then they found out about my skills and climbed up the latter in these 5.5 years to my current systems analyst spot...

I have read a lot or Raross posts..and he is very informative and has good information to share which us in terms of careers in I.T. seems like it comes from his first hand experience. I would follow his reccomendations.

I am working on my certs, but it seems as though some large network project always takes over my life :)

Once you have a few solid years of I.T. exp I think you are off pretty good. I recently applied for a network admin position for a city council down here and got offered the posotion..luckily my current company matched there offer so I turned down the offer..which felt really good to have that kind of decision to make.

Yeah the hard part is getting the actual IT experience, specially in the last 5 years with the market overflowed =/.

thx for the link csamuels very good insight on the it field :) this means i should start working on my certifactions :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom