associates degree versus master's degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioHazard90

Solid State Member
I have a four year degree in chemistry.

Now I want to become a computer programmer.

I'm willing to go back to school for a year or two.

For an entry level programmer at this point in time, what's the approximate starting salary if I had an associate's degree in computer science? How about if I had a master's degree?

In case it matters, I'm in the Northeast.

It does matter what area you are looking at. Honestly your BEST choice would be look at the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics website for the best approximations of what you're field or a particular field should be making.

People can say what they are making but that is dependant on tenure, area, education, and company. To get a true 'overall average' you should use the bls website.

I have a four year degree in chemistry.

Now I want to become a computer programmer.

I'm willing to go back to school for a year or two.

For an entry level programmer at this point in time, what's the approximate starting salary if I had an associate's degree in computer science? How about if I had a master's degree?

In case it matters, I'm in the Northeast.

This is a pure guess, don't take me as a fact, i'm not completed 4 years at all - going computer engineering route.

Can't you get to a lot of places for a 4 year Chemical Engineering degree?

Can you double major - and count as a B.S. in computer science?
(assuming you can..)

From observation - a associate is decent.. but your Chem E. will probably do you much much better.

If you can double major, and make that 2 years work count as a Bachelors, i'd say do it.

Otherwise, i think you should hit masters. It would do you more justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom