Any Experience with Resume Writing Services? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Technology Careers and Education
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Post Any Experience with Resume Writing Services?

Hello all, I need some advice regarding my resume and was wondering if anyone has experience using a Resume Writing service and what your experience was with them.

To give a little background info on me, I was laid off almost 2 years ago and since then I have been going to school taking courses on computer networking, and I also did an internship to gain some experience. The company I was interning for had some interest in me, but so far they haven't called me back after my interview and I can't really afford to wait forever to hear back from them. The problem is I've never really needed a resume until now, and the one I wrote up is probably the best I could do myself, but to me it doesn't look impressive at all.

I really think it would be a good investment for me to pay a professional that knows more about writing resumes than myself. There may be a lot of information on how to write a resume on the internet, but I can't find any that help me with the specific situation I'm in. I'm also just in general horrible at writing anything, I live on Firefox's automatic spell check but that doesn't help fix my grammatical errors!
  • Have any of you used a resume writing service, if so, who did you use? An online company? A local business in your home city? What were some things you liked, and some things you didn't like from the service?

I'm considering using Monster.com's resume writing service. Their fee is comparable with other services and I'd imagine they would do a pretty decent job if they are under Monster's umbrella. However, before I make the commitment I was hoping I could get some advice from others working in IT and anyone that may have uses one of these services before. I'm still hoping the company I interviewed with calls me back, but it wouldn't hurt to have my resume improved for future reference even if they do call me back and give me the job.

I just want to stress that I'm really not comfortable with writing it myself because I really don't know what I'm doing, and I can't find any online articles that help me with my specific situation of changing jobs + having very little experience in this new field + having a very large gap in employment. Thanks for any advice!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Any Experience with Resume Writing Services?

For me, I just use Word and look at different peoples' examples, totally free. I am not aware how much a resume college class costs, but I went to one, and it was very informative.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

The school, assuming you're still going, should have this sort of service for you. Usually theres a carreer services, or job placement type deptment, and they usually can help.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I'm sure my community college does have similar services, but it's community college, I wouldn't expect anything of real quality to come from them.

So what about these services, anybody with experience using them?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

They are trained professionals to help you. Try 'em out.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2IT View Post
I'm sure my community college does have similar services, but it's community college, I wouldn't expect anything of real quality to come from them.

So what about these services, anybody with experience using them?

Where do you think those "trained" professionals come from?

I'd see them 1st, then go somewhere else.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well I can't talk to anyone at the college until Monday and I have to go there for a parking pass anyway, but until then if anybody else has experience with a Resume Writing service I'd be interested to hear you experience.

Closed Thread