Advice on MS courses and prospects in UK appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizza

Beta member
As you'll notice I'm new here and I'm hoping that some of you kind people may be able to help me out.

I'm going through the process of a total career shift to the I.T. industry. At 33 I realise I'm leaving it a bit late but I seem to have a natural aptitude for all things technical so it has to be worth a go.

I've been looking into taking the relevant courses to train me up to MCSE/MCSA standard (including Security 2003) and I was hoping that there may be a few other people that read this that may be able to advise me on whether this would be the best way for me to go or not. I would pretty much be starting from scratch. I have basic home networking (wired and wireless) knowledge and have configured secure wireless networks but have had no involvement with any servers as such. Basically, I just need to know from others experience how well I would fair in the big, wide world (well, Scotland) with my new MCSE certificate in my hand. Are potential jobs relatively easy to find and how well would I be considered with only the certifiaction but no previous experience ??

Is there anything at all that you can offer me from your experiences ??

Again, I appreciate any input from anyone really as I'm a bit dubious about the whole prospect.

Thanks.

I dont know about the UK, but over here (Canada) most networking jobs ask for some sort of MS certification.

The nice thing about MCSA/MCSE is that MCSA leads into MCSE. Both certifications are made up of a bunch of different tests. You just need to write more tests to become MCSE certified.

If you get study guides from MS, it will come with a Server 2003 120day(I think) trial CD. You get practice labs as well as all of the theory you need to pass the tests.

I say go for it! Build up your certifications from home, until you have enough certs/experience to get yourself a job.

I also recommend looking into getting your A+ certification and your CCNA certifications.

A+ covers computer hardware and software.

CCNA covers Cisco routers and switches, as well as the OSI model, and protocols galore, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom