5 Amazing Certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 Amazing Certificates

raross said:
The only way to get "real" good experience is to have a 4 year degree and the only way to get into IT is to have experience. So therefore I can say in order to get into IT you need a 4 year degree. Most employers make sure you have both or for entry level jobs just a 4 year degree, however some just ask for experience, but again this goes back to my argument of having experience means having a degree. So you decide. [/B]

My companies net admin and I were hired straight out of a vocational high school. We worked as apprentices for so many hours and then were hired Full Time. My coworker chose to get certified MCSE 2k & MCDBA 2k instead of going to college. After getting certified he was promoted to network and db admin and was put on a salary.

I went to college before studying for certs. I completed a associates degree in comp network engineering. I got a 50 dollar check for it. Im currently studying for MCSE 2k3 & MCDBA 2k. After I get certifed, i'll prolly be put on a salary with a big big raise. Then, its off to complete a four year degree.

I think in our situation over here, it was better to get certified. But that's really a case by case basis thing. Our company promotes certs, while another may promote degrees.

How i got my job was hard work and a little bit of luck. I built many implementations at school, showed enthusiasm, the school recognized this and got me an interview.

While going to college, I saw a couple of good opportunities. An internship for a corporate hub. I wouldnt be doing IT stuff but i would be able to make contacts. Also, the college hired some support techs while i attended their school. I seen the ad posted at the school and then noticed them filter in the computer rooms.

...where is this going? Just wondering b/c i see no real point being made by Fr0z3nD, dude... assuming that you are my age, 17, and have an aptitude in IT just get your A+ then either Server+ or Network+...or if you are into the whole J+ thing go for that... dont do what i have done in one of my recent posts and go way over the top and build or plan for the best in the field of what ever you do.. just get your feet a little wet and then go for what you have the highest aptitude/ enjoyment ratio. You have to learn how to swim before you can win a gold medal, remember that and it will save both your checkbook and heartache in the future. I am too just in my begining years of IT interest but my teachers have told me that i have an aptitude in it AND i enjoy it! that is very important, i am by FAR not claiming to be a"guru" or even "highly skilled". I may complete minor tasks and accomplishments compared to the big guys BUT im good at what i do, and that is too very important!

So in conclusion I am right there with ya and if you want you can check on my profile to get my IM and email and we can give eachother advice/ support as well as swap ideas and theorys pertaining to this field. I dont know what you are into but i am a hardware guy and (being off-topic for a second) even though i am an AMD follower, i am waiting on the Conroe! E-Mail me some time and we can talk, ok? Best of luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 Amazing Certificates

raross said:
Which statement do you disagree with? Because unlike you, I have worked in the IT field. I presume you're still in highschool and have yet a lot to learn.

Disclaimer: This may be a little off topic, but it must be said.
There is no cussing or flaming in this post.

I graduated High School (which it 2 words Mr. College guy) in the mid 90's with no computer skills at all. I wasted my time dabbling in all sorts of random college classes. I tried everything under the sun, and nothing captivated me.

I then started gaming, I started to like the technology of computers more and more every day. I saw a commercial for a tech school here in San Diego and decided to learn more about computers.

It took me under 7 months to complete my MSCA cert. I had found my niche. I picked up the theories very quickly and had my MCSE within another 5 months. I graduated from tech school exactly 1 year after I had started.

I graduated with only lab times as "experience". My first real job in the IT field, was starting my own company and fixing computers and setting up home and small business networks.

I did that for about 1 year, until I became bored with it, and moved on.

My next job (WITH 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE) and only certifications to my name, landed me a job with Government Networks.

Started out as a help desk technician and made decent money doing it. Within 1 year of starting as a help desk technician, I had managed to work my way to the top of the call center, managing the technicians and analyzing the day to day efficiency of the LARGEST intranet in the entire world, and 2nd (to the internet itself) largest network in the world.

My point is:

1. Don't tell people that you WON'T get a GOOD job in the IT field without a 4 year degree. That couldn't be further from the truth.
And please don't say that it's different now'a'days, b/c that is complete nonsense as well... The IT field is getting bigger and bigger by the day. There are shortages all over the nation of IT people.

2. Being a software designer or engineer or whatever you code monkeys like to call yourself, doesn't put you in the IT field. It puts you in the code monkey field with is 100% DIFFERENT than the field that MOST of the people here are trying to get into.

Its people like bradybnmci i really respect .
Thanks for sharing this with us. It really placed me in the spot light mate (Not that i dont think or anything, but it just removed the blur).
Thankyou

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 Amazing Certificates

bradybnmci said:
Disclaimer: This may be a little off topic, but it must be said.
There is no cussing or flaming in this post.

I graduated High School (which it 2 words Mr. College guy) in the mid 90's with no computer skills at all. I wasted my time dabbling in all sorts of random college classes. I tried everything under the sun, and nothing captivated me.

I then started gaming, I started to like the technology of computers more and more every day. I saw a commercial for a tech school here in San Diego and decided to learn more about computers.

It took me under 7 months to complete my MSCA cert. I had found my niche. I picked up the theories very quickly and had my MCSE within another 5 months. I graduated from tech school exactly 1 year after I had started.

I graduated with only lab times as "experience". My first real job in the IT field, was starting my own company and fixing computers and setting up home and small business networks.

I did that for about 1 year, until I became bored with it, and moved on.

My next job (WITH 1 YEAR EXPERIENCE) and only certifications to my name, landed me a job with Government Networks.

Started out as a help desk technician and made decent money doing it. Within 1 year of starting as a help desk technician, I had managed to work my way to the top of the call center, managing the technicians and analyzing the day to day efficiency of the LARGEST intranet in the entire world, and 2nd (to the internet itself) largest network in the world.

My point is:

1. Don't tell people that you WON'T get a GOOD job in the IT field without a 4 year degree. That couldn't be further from the truth.
And please don't say that it's different now'a'days, b/c that is complete nonsense as well... The IT field is getting bigger and bigger by the day. There are shortages all over the nation of IT people.

2. Being a software designer or engineer or whatever you code monkeys like to call yourself, doesn't put you in the IT field. It puts you in the code monkey field with is 100% DIFFERENT than the field that MOST of the people here are trying to get into.

This is nonsense. If you have not noticed the IT Market is flooded with people like you and people with 4 year degrees. So the people with 4 year degrees are going to get the jobs over the people without. That forces the people without college degrees to take meaningless jobs that a 14 year old could do. Like you said fixing computers. And presently is a lot different then the mid 90's where if you could do anything with a computer you were considered a god to anyone. Now days, you have kids 14+ getting their A+ building computers and working at best buy. You also have kids right out of high school working at call centers. I am sorry; I donÂ’t call these real IT jobs. I do not honestly think you could make a very good living at one of these jobs. Where you could maybe in the mid 90's because like I said you were considered a god etc. A lot has changed since the internet boom.

It all goes back to having experience and you find yourself stuck in that circle without a 4 year degree.

People i think this is going a liiiittle bit out of control . .
dont you agree ?
Stick to the topic people (Ppl flamming at each other, only thing left is getting bats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom