10 IT positions ranked by prestige - techrepublic.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
10: Help desk analyst

Help desk analysts are the Rodney Dangerfields of the IT world. The people answering the phone on the help desk get no respect from clients or other IT professionals. They are expected to solve as many problems as possible at tier one but are not paid the wages befitting that level of technical expertise. When the phone rings, there is almost always an unhappy customer on the line. Help desk analysts take unwarranted verbal abuse for circumstances beyond their control and are rarely recognized for their efforts
Certainly feels like this at times!!

Once I had a member of staff come right up behind my desk to moan about a support request I or my team didn't even deal with in the first instance - when I was in the middle of supporting someone else! :hrmph:

More annoyingly, lately I've been getting support requests submitted by staff who when I phone / email to initiate or provide first-line support, don't get back to me at all (not even to cancel). I'm creating and closing a chunk of support requests needlessly.

Alvin speeking as a consultant, when that happens in a company I support I do reverse SLA, say user X has a issue raises a fault I call, email and fax and it's a down system so i.e. a SEV 1 business critical unless I get a response for a good ****ing reason I take the SLA from the open fault and add it to the new one so it's not a 4hr SLA it's now 8hr and in a que it's in the contract that I can do that and people tend to answer my emails and calls then after their boss has screamed at them.

i.e. a SEV 1 business critical unless I get a response for a good ****ing reason I take the SLA from the open fault and add it to the new one so it's not a 4hr SLA it's now 8hr and in a que it's in the contract that I can do that and people tend to answer my emails and calls then after their boss has screamed at them.

to me, it sounds like you're chaining tickets together to extend the deadline to close the ticket. is this correct? what is a SEV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom