Wikipedia Search Engine to Challenge Google and Yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hate wikipedia and i hate people who go there and think they can prove something becuase they read it on wikipedia

half the crap on wikipedia is simply that....crap

i hate wikipedia and i hate people who go there and think they can prove something becuase they read it on wikipedia

half the crap on wikipedia is simply that....crap
You're probably one of the kids who goes there, copies an entire section, and tries to hand it in as your work (at school). Uh-huh. Everything you said is just that....crap. Now if you're talking about the internet as a whole, that may be true, but Wiki is by far superior to most web resources.

i dont know what you guys are talking about
Relating to your quote, he was just being a jerk.

As far as those who say "nobody can own Google" ... that's a bit far from the truth. Just because a couple punk kids got a popular search going, there's nothing stopping someone from topping them: That's what's great about technology.

Besides, their search isn't what made them popular...it was their clutter-less interface and lack of banner ads all over the page. However, as you may notice, that's changing...they're adding lots of junk, though hiding a lot of it (to attempt keeping this clean look), and they're loaded with the crappy text ads. (Well, last I checked anyway...my FF addon blocks those. :rolleyes:)

Not to say Google isn't the "current thang", but I believe they've peaked and it's time for the newcomer. Bow down to...

You're probably one of the kids who goes there, copies an entire section, and tries to hand it in as your work (at school). Uh-huh. Everything you said is just that....crap. Now if you're talking about the internet as a whole, that may be true, but Wiki is by far superior to most web resources.

nope i dont use Wikipedia because it is crap anyone can go on there and post something and wiki will place it right up there
i have read soooo many untrue things on wikipedia its insane, if your doing a paper for school never go there in fact i dont know of any college/school that will allow wikipedia as a reliable search because of how crappy it is

i will admit they have tried fixing it up some since it was first around but its still crap and unreliable

and i will admit that alot of the internet resources are full of **** but thats why you look at reliable sites depending on what your researching and wikipedia is far from reliable

nope i dont use Wikipedia because it is crap anyone can go on there and post something and wiki will place it right up there
i have read soooo many untrue things on wikipedia its insane, if your doing a paper for school never go there in fact i dont know of any college/school that will allow wikipedia as a reliable search because of how crappy it is

i will admit they have tried fixing it up some since it was first around but its still crap and unreliable

and i will admit that alot of the internet resources are full of **** but thats why you look at reliable sites depending on what your researching and wikipedia is far from reliable

Show me a better resource... or, show me a reliable resource. Knowledge comes down the chain in one form or another, and nothing specific could ever be factually known after-the-fact. Meaning: who are you to say a place with millions of contributors is more likely to be fiction versus fact?

As for schools disallowing its use, that's a load 'o crap beyond what I mentioned - so many kiddies go on there and do a copy-and-paste, thinking they can get away with it. As with any resource, it's your responsibility to weed out the trash, and as luck should have it, Wiki has minimal trash.

That aside, speaking for college papers, you might reference Wiki to see who a person was - a little bio, but you won't be doing research here. You have to go into the journals... heh, you'll know this soon.

you can find alot better resources then wikipedia depending on what your trying to research

yes so many kiddies go and copy and paste from wiki but in the college courses i have taken we have to have a worked cited page with all our information and if they run it through their plagirism checker and wikipedia comes up, your screwed because they will throw out all the information from

trust me ive seen it happen to a few lazy people in my computer engineering technologies class

you can find alot better resources then wikipedia depending on what your trying to research

yes so many kiddies go and copy and paste from wiki but in the college courses i have taken we have to have a worked cited page with all our information and if they run it through their plagirism checker and wikipedia comes up, your screwed because they will throw out all the information from

trust me ive seen it happen to a few lazy people in my computer engineering technologies class

I doubt they throw out information from Wiki, but would prefer you go more in-depth then Wiki allows. Plagiarizing from anywhere should get you expelled, at least if it happens more then once - noting that this has nothing to do with Wiki.

its not plagiarism if you cite where you got the information and my professor made it very clear that wiki would not be excepted and would cost you in your final grade

WiKi is great for some stuff but on the more common searches it can and will through up unreliable data for some of the more obscure stuff it is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom