System restore success poll

Have you had a good success rate using System Restore?

• Yes (High success)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (Low success)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
I had posted my thoughts on the success rate of System restore and was confronted with conflicting opinions and so the idea for this poll was forged.

So please place a vote of Yes if it has worked successfully for you or No if you have had more non success when using System restore.

Please keep your comments on a peaceful level and no flaming please and just because your insults are masked with your creative diction it's still a flame none the less.

Yes. The only failures I have had in many different attempts (over 100) is when all of the restore points were infected as well. In those cases I was forced to either a repair or a complete reinstall.

Well not to beat up on Norton but back when I use to try and use Sys restore, it was around the time that I used Norton, so it may not have been the fault of Sys restore at all, lol.. so yes I gave up on Sys restore before I gave up on Norton. that would put the virtual egg on my face now wouldn't it.. lets see how the poll works out and see if this may have been the case for all SR failures.

I pretty much despise Norton and macafee for that matter. Unfortunately for some clients it is the "best" solution.

I can honestly say that certain programs such as the mainstream AV programs can and will screw up restore points because of they update and how they are embedded into the OS.

Can't stand system restore. It's a breeding ground for viruses. I would say a good 75% of all the infected computers we got in the store were crapped up with viruses in the system restore. I kind of look at it as a rootkit, since you can't edit any of the files in it, and I think the consequences of having it turned on outweigh the benefits.

Hikari-

Turn off System Restore and delete teh Restore points then turn it back on. Create a Restore point right away and your safe.

That is the thing. Many people do not realize that Restore points also get infected with Viruses. So they get infected and think a Restore point will work. It wont.

If you installed a program which caused issues a Restore point will work to get your system back in working order as long as you are not or have not been infected.

Of all the times i have used it it failed on me once. Since i have been using PC's for well over 10 years and close to 15 years and working with every version of Windows since 3.1 that is a long time and a lot of attempts to go thru.

That is the thing. Many people do not realize that Restore points also get infected with Viruses. So they get infected and think a Restore point will work. It wont.

I didn't realize that, and even thought the tip was meant for Hikari, thanks Mak.

Yeah because a System Restore doesn't delete any of your own personal files. Only Windows files. Therefore the virus stays on your system along with all your other files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom