online is not always cheaper (newegg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
just a reminder for everyone to not forget about local stores and help the economy :)

i ve been comparing online prices(mostly newegg) with local stores for few months now.

and either online prices increased or store prices dropped.

i was comparing to best-buy and fry's and some others.

alot of stuff you see on newegg is actually more expensive than in store.

or same price

so far i bought a webcam in bestbuy and canon DSLR for same price that was on newegg.
bought my motherboard and memory for same exact price from local FRY's

now consider that i bought a defective product
newegg: send an email, get a confirmation get another email , send one more email describing the issue again with pictures, package and send the product wait wait wait and get it back and pray that its not defective again.. thats 2-3 weeks if lucky

local store: pick it up same day, if its defective drive there and replace it right away and get on with your life. and you actually see the product you re buying.

While sometimes true for the US, in-store prices here are often more than double what they are online.

It depends a lot of the item, raver. No, online is not always cheaper (heck, i bought my Razer Lachesis from BB for the same price it was listed on the egg). Most of the time it is however.

Yea, it depends on the item. I rarely buy anything that's expensive without checking other places prices.

well i see exactly what online stores did.
its kinda like tint shops here in the area
one shop drops the price down so low that others cant compete with it and go out of business.
even though that shop is not making any money its driving the competition out.
once the competition is taken care of the shop raises the price.

same thing happened with newegg and others.
after a few major retailers are out of the way they jack up the prices wherever they can.
because people already have a habit of just going online and ordering it without comparing it to any local retailers.

even ebay stores are doing it now...

im hoping alot of people read it and bring more business to local retailers even though it costs few more bucks its sometimes worth a headache of returning a DOA product.
and you can actually see the real item in the store versus (mostly low quality) image online.

i dont work in any retail store related to computers so this is not an advertizement for any specific store.

well what about the people who dont have a frys or micocenter near them. and BB has absolutely nothing computer related in them, other than horribly priced video cards and HDD's.

well i see exactly what online stores did.
its kinda like tint shops here in the area
one shop drops the price down so low that others cant compete with it and go out of business.
even though that shop is not making any money its driving the competition out.
once the competition is taken care of the shop raises the price.

same thing happened with newegg and others.
after a few major retailers are out of the way they jack up the prices wherever they can.
because people already have a habit of just going online and ordering it without comparing it to any local retailers.

even ebay stores are doing it now...

im hoping alot of people read it and bring more business to local retailers even though it costs few more bucks its sometimes worth a headache of returning a DOA product.
and you can actually see the real item in the store versus (mostly low quality) image online.

i dont work in any retail store related to computers so this is not an advertizement for any specific store.

I didn't even have a BB where I used to live, we had a CC...some people aren't fortunate enough to live in areas with awesome computer stores, so newegg is a godsend.

Almost ALWAYS newegg is cheaper, just on certain things it falls behind. They have to make their money somehow.

By the way, the practice you described as "putting other companies out of business with low prices then raising them up" is a standard business practice. This includes your local stores, ESPECIALLY your local stores. I know when I create my business, I'm going as low as possible with my repairs and such to ice some of the competition, and then start slowly raising my prices a bit to make it worth my while. There's nothing wrong with that, especially as costs go up. You failed to take into account that newegg has been getting more and more popular, hence their costs of running the website have most likely gone up substantially. Get ahold of their costs of running the site and their business, then tell me it's not fair of them to raise their prices.

What also as to be factored in is the cost of shipping. I would NOT buy a case online unless I'm getting a deal on shipping. Definately a local purchase, even if it cost more than the online stores.

Newegg US has alot of free shipping, but here in Canada, thats not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom