MPAA Says Making "One Copy" of a DVD is Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
MPAA Says Making "One Copy" of a DVD is Illegal

If you make even one copy of a DVD, you should go to jail. According to our friends at the MPAA, you are a movie-stealing-scumbag-pirate if you want to make a legitimate back-up of a DVD you just bought for $19.99.

"When a consumer can voluntarily expand the rights that come with one of those services — in essence open the door to multiple copies of a work not licensed for that — that eliminates any monetization models except one: selling full use rights to the work at one fixed price," says the Copyright Alliance on the MPAA's behalf. If you want a DVD you can make copies of then the "price point" must be higher to reflect "expanded use rights."

I will agree to this the day when one of my DVD disks is too scratched to work, I can send it in for a free replacement with no shipping charges.

^^ I say how-do to that. Especially when you shell out for the special edition that costs over 30 dollars...

I will agree to this the day when one of my DVD disks is too scratched to work, I can send it in for a free replacement with no shipping charges.

That maybe in Sweden. But here in the USA where the MPAA resides, there is no such thing. If your DVD gets scratched or whatever, you have to purchase a replacement.

Sorry but i am not going to shell out another $20+ for another copy of the same DVD that i already bought and should have the rights to make a backup copy of.

If i was still single or married with no children, fine. But my baby can crack a DVD in the matter of minutes. Even when i have them upstairs where she cant get them, she still manages to get ahold of them and crack teh brand new Disney DVD that i just bought her.

I am not about to go out and pay them another $20+ for another copy. With the emergence of Digital Copy this should reside. But they have to stop with this junk about proprietary software to even access the file.

If you tell me that i get a Digital DVD Copy i should have a ISO or something that i can use to burn a DVD in case mine gets broken. Isnt that what a Digital DVD Copy is? So yeah they provide those with no hitches that it can only be access with their special DVD in the DVD ROM and through their player then i will stop making a backup. Till then i will do what i have to do to make sure that my investment into the DVD purchased is secure.

That maybe in Sweden. But here in the USA where the MPAA resides, there is no such thing. If your DVD gets scratched or whatever, you have to purchase a replacement.

I think you misread his statement.

Clamping down on this doesn't do a thing to prevent piracy and bootlegging. Just as Hefe said, if I can send in a damaged DVD for a free replacement then I'll be okay with this policy. Until then I'm inclined to keep a back up of any music or movie that I buy to make sure I can still watch it if I scratch a disc.

No i dont think i did. He says that one of his DVD's gets scratched he can send it in.

He is also located in Sweden. I know that i have never seen anything like that on any package on any DVD i have bought.

Yes i will agree with you as well. If i could send it in i wouldnt do this. But that isnt a option right now.

nope. I meant that I would agree to not make backups of my dvds the day that I can get a replacement for a scratched dvd. Which you cannot get in Sweden.

And the day that happens will be a cold day in a place that the filter would edit out.

well then, according to this, i should be sentenced to life in jail. because i made a backup of all of my LEGALLY purchased games/DVD's. so go ahead and lock me up.

*holds out hands for handcuffs*

[/sarcasm]

i think it's stupid. how can they tell me what to do with something that i bought and legally own. it's now like i am giving a copy to every one of my friends or selling these copys on the street. load of BS to me.

trying to prevent piracy is the soul reason they are saying this. I, however, disagree with this. If i own a legit copy, i should have the right to rip it on my computer, but i shouldnt have the right to burn it onto a blank DVD n give it to someone, that is the illegal part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom