Mozilla Sets New Guinness World Record with Firefox 3 Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – July 2, 2008 – Mozilla today announced it set a new Guinness World Record for the largest number of software downloads in 24 hours. The record-setting 8,002,530 downloads coincided with the launch of Firefox® 3, Mozilla's major update to its popular and acclaimed free, open source Web browser.

Mozilla enthusiasts worldwide drove more than 1.7 million pledges to download Firefox 3 on Download Day, hosted regional download “fests,” and informed more than 43 million people through hosting Download Day affiliate buttons online. The global Mozilla community has been celebrating the historic goal of establishing a Guinness World Record with parties in more than 25 countries, including a 24-hour long download fest celebration called Camp Firefox at Mozilla's Mountain View headquarters.

“The enthusiasm and creativity of Firefox fans was instrumental in achieving this record,” said Paul Kim, VP of Marketing at Mozilla. “Our community members came together and not only spread the word, but also took the initiative to help mobilize millions of people to demonstrate their belief that Firefox gives people the best possible online experience.”

“As the arbiter and recorder of the world's amazing facts, Guinness World Records is pleased to add Mozilla's achievement to our archives,” said Gareth Deaves, Records Manager for Guinness World Records. “Mobilizing over 8 million internet users within 24 hours is an extremely impressive accomplishment and we would like to congratulate the Mozilla community for their hard work and dedication.”

Source

I call BS. How many were unique IP's and not just the same people downloading it over and over again to give them the record? I bet that they even had the Mozilla servers and people downloading this software just to pad their numbers.

This is just total downloads. This is not downlaods that are unique to a IP. Meaning that if i downloaded it 5 times that was 5 downloads. Not jsut 1 download cause it went to teh same spot.

All bogus in order for Mozilla to pad their numbers.

Hello Doc,

I have seen Mozilla do this before with their numbers. I know that they do not count unique downloads just count the number of downloads. Which to me is not a fair count of how many times the software is downloaded. It is just a count of how many times the file was downloaded. Which to me can be padded since someone can write a batch script file to download teh file, delete it and then download it again.

Which will pad the numbers and not give a accurate count of how many different people downloaded the software which would give us a real count of how many different people downloaded it and not how many people downloded it to the same machine or to the same IP address. I know i have several machines here and if i had downloaded it to each machien that would ahve padded the stats to say that there was 5 downloaded here alone instead of 1.

Instead i downloaded it and just transfered it so that i did not pad the stats with a influx number of downloads. to me to count each download itself is not accurate as it doesnt bring into effect how many different times the same people downloaded the software.

As for that thread it has been discussed among us Mods before that anything to do with trying to "jack" or use someone else's WiFi can be used for any purpose as you are not on your own IP and therefor you can do whatever you wish with no consequence to yourself.

So by him saying that he is just trying to get onto someone else's wifi network we can not assume anything and have made it a point to make sure that we do not help them. If it was a local hotspot that would be different. But from a home to try and use someone else's WiFi is not what we are looking to do.

I will see if i can find the info on this to give you a better description of what we had said. I am not sure if it was in the network area or the browser area where the topic came up before but i know that last time we had done the same thing. Closed out the thread cause we can only say for sure that it isnt legal to use someone else's wifi.

It isnt hatred per say as i do have Firefox installed and i do use it. I just dont like their practice of how they count the number of downloads. I remember a few topics before where they had said that they had like 20 million downloads of firefox 2 before. That doesnt mean 20 million people are using Firefox. Jsut that 20 million had downloded it. I know that i, myself had counted for at least 50 or more of those downloads cause of all the reinstalls i do and the number of times i had to download a new version.

When i get the rest of the info on the WiFi situation i will either post it up or link it.

Cheers,
Mak

Do the rules of Guinness state they have to be unique?
Not to mention that schools and big networks may have the same IP for all the hundreds of people connected.

It was a non-existant world record anyway. Any number of downloads could have counted as a "world record".

Fire what?

*Download's another copy of Opera*

I heard this on the news though, did anyone see all the blokes jumping up and down in front of the counter :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom