Microsoft Loses Word Patent Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Microsoft Loses Word Patent Appeal

It looks like Microsoft has lost its appeal in that MS Word patent case. Microsoft has agreed to change its code and will have to pay the $200 million in damages previously awarded by the courts.

Microsoft lost a patent case involving a company called I4i in May, after a jury ruled that Microsoft infringed one of i4i's patents with a custom XML feature found in Word. In August an injunction was placed on sales of Word pending the appeal, which did not go in Microsoft's favor Tuesday.

I think it's silly that they waited 10+ years to say something. I mean if you held the patent since 1998 why didn't you say something earlier? Why wait so many years to say anything?

Microsoft To Start Word Patch Delivery In The US

Microsoft recently lost a patent infringement case in the United States with the court's ruling in favor of software development company tiny i4i. Many websites and blogs proclaimed after the court's ruling that Microsoft would have to stop selling Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office in the beginning of January. Experts on the other hand knew that Microsoft was prepared to react quickly if they would lose the case in court.
Microsoft's reaction is a Word patch that is being delivered to Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office users in the United States. The patch has been made available to Microsoft partners and original equipment manufacturers since October 2009 as a Microsoft Office Supplement Release. It is assumed that Microsoft will add the patch to Windows Update and Microsoft Update so that users in the United States will be supplied with the patch as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom