Intel lawsuit from AMD pushed to 2010, Intel Monopoly! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion > Polls
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Exclamation Intel lawsuit from AMD pushed to 2010, Intel Monopoly!

DailyTech - Intel, AMD Court Battle Postponed Until 2010

Quote:
Way back in 2005, AMD filed a lawsuit against Intel that alleged that the company abused its market leading position to keep competition out of the marketplace. Part of the AMD allegations claim that Intel offered free products and large discounts to keep computer makers from using AMD processors.

Since the suit was filed in 2005 not much has been done in court other that delay after delay in actually bringing the case to trial. This week, the federal antitrust case against Intel was again postponed from its April 2009 day in court to a new date of February 2010.
DailyTech - Just What It Was Dreading -- Intel Monopoly Rocked By Official FTC Investigation

free products and large discounts? Sounds like Intel to me.

--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n
Default Re: Intel lawsuit from AMD pushed to 2010, Intel Monopoly!

Sorry if i sound stupid here, but what is wrong with that O.o?

Old 06-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

i'm wondering the same thing lol
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

The only thing wrong with it is that it gives Intel an unfair market advantage and supports a monopoly which is illegal. Plus, if Intel were to acquire a monopoly legally, then the prices would all jump up and we would pay the heavy price for supporting the downfall of AMD.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Look at this from a different perspective. Instead of CPus, say it was cellular phone service. One major company pushes everyone else out of business, so what do you have left? What the one company offers. No choice, no comparison shopping.

Since the one company owns all the bandwidth, no one else can even offer a cell phone besides them. If they decide to only offer crap phones that have no features, you don't have a choice. If they decide that a cell phone will cost $500, you don't have a choice. If they decide to charge $1 per minute, you don't have a choice. if they decide to only activate the network in your area between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., you don't have a choice.

Does this clear up why it is a bad thing?

It doesn't matter if you like AMD or not. Monopolies are illegal for a reason. As long as AMD is alive and kicking, Intel can't do just as it pleases. It doesn't matter that Intel has the faster chips right now, we need the competition.

When AMD came out with the Athlons, and then the 64s, Intel had to innovate to stay competitive. The GHz race was Intel's way of trying to push the issue, mainly because the AMD chips run at a lower cycle than Intel's. Because of this competition, we are now enjoying the fruit borne by Intel's forced R&D... forced because people were buying their competitor's chips instead of theirs.

The lawsuit is over Intel's practices of trying to force companies to only use their chips. Everyone knows that they did it, and are still trying to do it. Intel's best chance is to keep the case out of court for as long as possible, hoping AMD will cease to exist.

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Look at this from a different perspective. Instead of CPus, say it was cellular phone service. One major company pushes everyone else out of business, so what do you have left? What the one company offers. No choice, no comparison shopping.

Since the one company owns all the bandwidth, no one else can even offer a cell phone besides them. If they decide to only offer crap phones that have no features, you don't have a choice. If they decide that a cell phone will cost $500, you don't have a choice. If they decide to charge $1 per minute, you don't have a choice. if they decide to only activate the network in your area between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., you don't have a choice.

Does this clear up why it is a bad thing?

It doesn't matter if you like AMD or not. Monopolies are illegal for a reason. As long as AMD is alive and kicking, Intel can't do just as it pleases. It doesn't matter that Intel has the faster chips right now, we need the competition.

When AMD came out with the Athlons, and then the 64s, Intel had to innovate to stay competitive. The GHz race was Intel's way of trying to push the issue, mainly because the AMD chips run at a lower cycle than Intel's. Because of this competition, we are now enjoying the fruit borne by Intel's forced R&D... forced because people were buying their competitor's chips instead of theirs.

The lawsuit is over Intel's practices of trying to force companies to only use their chips. Everyone knows that they did it, and are still trying to do it. Intel's best chance is to keep the case out of court for as long as possible, hoping AMD will cease to exist.
Correct, if you're too lazy to read what Trotter said..

Intel used to be the slow one back in Netburst days (the crappy architecture that fooled people by using High Clock Speeds), however AMD had a more efficient architecture at the time that ran at somewhat low clock speeds and better than Intel Clock Per Clock

Intel's main goal is to drive AMD out so they can charge as much as they want for their chips....

I hope they fail....
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

If nothing else, this will be the reason I stick to AMD. The fact that Intel uses unethical tactics to push others out of the market....

*edit*
and this is the typical behavior of a company that is clearly in the wrong: delaying the court case as much as they can and hope it gets dropped...
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

Thanks for clearing that up.

I can see why some people side with AMD a bit more now :/
Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Same.
I'd switch to AMD..... but I don't have a choice.
I'm not really "with" Intel at the moment either
Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside

i think this should be stickied to let ppl know the truth about Intel trying to monopolize everyone n push AMD over the edge; PPL NEED TO KNOW THIS!

--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Closed Thread