Intel bans Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Intel can't buy nvidia. They are the two largest graphics cards manufacturers so it would result in a monopoly. Plus Intel is working on its own dedicated graphics card called Larrabee that is rumored to have 16 cores.

Nvidia could buy AMD though.

This is posturing form Intel, Currently Nvidia is making the best grapics cards an intel have one in development so they are trying to get Nvidia to fork over some trade that will cost them in the long run. There are a few ways this could play out:

1) Intel wins an we have Intel GFX cards that are SLI compatible.

2) Intel looses an we see most of the high end work stations / gaming rigs using AMD processors.

3) Intel looses an will shun Nvidia for a long time.

4) Nvida could buy AMD an set up on its own as a chipset / processor producer.

5) Nvida says a big **** you an makes it's own brand processors for desktops an laptop's (this would be interesting).

6) AMD an Nvidia partner up an give Intel a serious run for there money with ideal matches of chipset an processor.

7) Wild card - Every one is a looser an we have massive fluctuations in prices resulting in one of the big 3 either retiring from the desktop market an focusing on servers (business market) or move mostly over to the RnD side of computing an we will end up with one having a market dominance till either VIA or some other company steps up an makes a new set of processors that would in theory be very hard to launch with the dominance from the other.

That is just the top few ways in my mind i can see this playing out.

That seems right Saxon but you forget that ATi and AMD are one company now, so you can't say 4. without a video card monopoly, also its lose not loose ;)

Lol when did I turn into the speller enforcer

when you had too much free time on your hands...

and i can see sli becoming somewhat obsolete and crossfire picking up, only if amd's proc's can pick up.

Actually, this is kinda good news in a way. If you want multiple GPUs - you either go Intel/ATI or AMD/Nvidia (or AMD/ATI), its weird. Intel's kinda crippling itself a little here. This is going to help AMD/ATI in a sense and will kinda bring an equilibrium in the pc enthusiast market.

However, it does impede on the consumers options, which isn't cool.

1) Intel wins an we have Intel GFX cards that are SLI compatible.
Nvidia will never allow that.
4) Nvida could buy AMD an set up on its own as a chipset / processor producer.
Not gonna happen. AMD's x86 license is non-transferrable.
Also, I highly doubt that any sort of a merger/takeover will be allowed now that AMD owns ATI. It would be seen as anti-competitive in the GPU department

AMD's x86 license is transferable if it is bought by a U.S company

For starters, AMD cannot be bought by just anybody, since there are limiting factors with the license for the x86 architecture. If AMD would be acquired by a foreign company (such as Samsung), that license would be lost, and that would diminish the value of AMD as a company. Thus, Nvidia and IBM, are the only two real players are in the game.

IBM Could Be An Interesting Partner - Tom's Hardware : AMD: To Merge Or Not To Merge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom