Intel, AMD Settle Antitrust Disputes, Intel to Pay AMD $1.25 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD always makes a big deal of whatever Intel does, gets them to pay money but even then Intel always seems to have more of the market.

Glad it is over. Not really that much and frankly wont help the AMD market grow. They are still under-powered CPU's compared to the i7's and that as far as i know.

But seriously glad it is over now. If we could just get the fanboi's to play nice now...

Glad it is over. Not really that much and frankly wont help the AMD market grow. They are still under-powered CPU's compared to the i7's and that as far as i know.

But seriously glad it is over now. If we could just get the fanboi's to play nice now...

uhh pay of debts ring a bell?

uhh pay of debts ring a bell?
Paying of debts doesnt help research and development. :wink_tongue:

So what if they can pay off bills. It isnt going to help them gain any ground on Intel. All it will do is allow them to get themselves further into debt by getting loans to do R&D.

So my original point still stands. It isnt going to help them gain ground on Intel. Paying of debts may allow them to get more profit, it doesnt make the chips faster and doesnt get their name out there more.

Intel shells out $1.25 billion to settle all AMD litigation

Intel shells out $1.25 billion to settle all AMD litigation

Intel sure sells a lot of chips, but man -- it sure blows a lot of that profit on lawyers. Just months after it got nailed with a $1.45 billion fine from the EU in an AMD antitrust case, nearly two years after AMD hit Intel with another antitrust probe and nearly 1.5 years after the FTC sparked up an investigation of its own, Intel has finally decided to pony up in order to rid itself of one of those back-riding monkeys. In an admittedly brief joint announcement released simultaneously by both firms today, Intel has agreed to cough up a whopping $1.25 billion in order to settle "all antitrust and IP disputes" with AMD. In fact, the pair went so far as to say the following:
"While the relationship between the two companies has been difficult in the past, this agreement ends the legal disputes and enables the companies to focus all of our efforts on product innovation and development."
Aside from AMD's coffers filling up with cash, the agreement also gives both firms patent rights from a new 5-year cross license agreement. Of course, we're betting that this isn't the end of this exceptionally bitter rivalry, and we highly doubt Intel wrote a check this large while grinning from ear-to-ear. That said, we're eager to see what AMD does with its newfound cheddar, and if we had our druthers, we'd sit back and watch it invest heavily into beating Intel to the punch with its next few platforms.

bah, it didnt come up in a search when I looked, but I see Mak posted this way before I did. mods, go ahead and delete it if you will.

Too little too late IMO.
I can only imagine how much market share AMD could have had in a fair market, and in turn, how much more resources they could have put into R&D. I don't think that damage can be undone.

Too little too late IMO.
I can only imagine how much market share AMD could have had in a fair market, and in turn, how much more resources they could have put into R&D. I don't think that damage can be undone.

Well if they was such a great company they would be doing fine no matter what :|

i mean there current stuff is basically on the level of socket 775 intel chips :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom