IBM, AMD and partners first to 22nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
AMD First to 22 Nm, Challenges Intel - Tom's Hardware
Yorktown Heights (NY) - IBM and its chip development partners, including AMD, made a stunning announcement today, apparently beating Intel in the successful production of the first functional 22 nm SRAM cell. 22 nm processors are still three years out in the future, but IBM's news is a good sign that chip manufacturer will be able to easily scale to this new level by the end of 2011. It appears that, for the first time in several decades, Intel may have to put some extra time into its research and development efforts to make sure it can keep its manufacturing lead at 22 nm and beyond.

I find it interesting what IBM and AMD are capable of doing to advance manufactirung

This is great news. I hope that AMD can get this tech mastered and beta Intel to market with the 22nm chip with like 8 cores. :p

At the risk of sounding like an Intel fanboy have either of them even started using 45nm yet?

That said it would be nice for AMD to be the one in the lead for a change.

From what i know most Core 2 Duo's are 45nm. AMD also has some on the market as well.

I know Intel has had 45nm since Q1 of this year. I was referring to the fact that AMD does not have a 45nm cpu currently available and I wasn't sure if IBM did either.

I find it interesting that the gap between AMD 45nm and Intel 45nm was supposed to be 6 months, yet that didn't happen !

It seems history will repeat itself

I find it interesting that gap between AMD 45nm and Intel 45nm was supposed to be 6 months, yet that didn't happen !
the ATI acquisiton didn't exactly help things happen quickly.
But that's been pretty much consolidated now.
It seems history will repeat itself
You're saying that based on a relatively short period of history in which there were major changes in circumstances.
besides, past events doesn't necessarily indicate what will happen in the future, unless you know every single circumstance and have the resources to compute where things will end-up based on all of them.

Actually, if you think about it, AMD is playing it smart. They are letting Intel act as the land mine detector for problems associated with the smaller die shrinks. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom